cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

N- Test Plot

Afternoon -- U --All 

Here are 3 pictures from the N test plot -- this plot is about 33 acres .

Rates are 90

mine at 2 pass, split app. of 90 each

And Adapt -N = Cornell U.

These are 16 row strips , across the whole field

This study was put togather by the Great folks up at Purdue - this should show -- IF my 2 pass eal works along with the adapt n study .

I was setting flags this afternoon - and boys -- it was a hot b i t ch out there .

Picture 1 is at the 150 # rate

2. is adapt n on left and 18o # on right

3. is adapt n on left and mine , with one pass at 90#

Will probably put on the adapt n strip and my second pass , by weekend of first of next week

Hope the year keeps going good , this as been a fun study - so far and should get some good info . back in late Sept - or Oct .

my documtims 494.jpgmy documtims 495.jpgmy documtims 496.jpg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: N- Test Plot

Corn looks Good ECIN, however I can't tell much difference in the photo's, is there much of a difference when your up close and personal? I've been meaning to ask you, the other day you mentioned something along the lines of your drought returning.  Have you been getting any rain or are you needing some?  Pics don't look the the crop is burning up.

Have you figured out a break even point as far as applied N is concerned?  Sometimes we can apply products to maximize yield, but doesn't necessarily mean it's maximum profit per acre.

Good work, better go get ya a cold one.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Shaggy - after last year -- here in New Kansas - as you - we will always take a rain - we have been getting some here and there but have missed many rains . We will be OK for awhile .

I see this post did what i whated it to do - make you or other think about N management .  And with any luck it will give some answers that I have been looking for - for years .

I will give you a better answer on your  questions tomorrow - I have a headach from he11 , lol

Keep them wheels turning  !

0 Kudos
rawhide
Advisor

wish i could miss a rain, disked up 70 acres last nite too wet but what you gonna do and its f#$@$%^%^$#@@$#$%% RAINING AGAIN

0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

2 questions

1.  Why does the Adapt-N look like it is short on N this early in the season??

and

2.  Will the crooked rows with the 180 lb test skew the results?Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

LMAO Hank - I didn't notice the little bend till I down loaded the picture - I had the camera zoomed in to see the different colors of the corn , so it may not be as bad as it looks -- I wondered if somebody would pick that up , lol

The Adapt -N has had  No ----   N put on  it   yet - thats the difference -- it had 10 gallons of 10-34-0 put on 2 by 2 at planting time -- thats it .

The A-N use's a  computer model - We enter in things like organic matter , fert . if littler was spread - you name it -- then it looks at rain fall amounts and it prints out how much N needs to be applied , around V- 6 to V12 .

This has only been out for - I think this is the third year , results have looked very good - from what I have seen .

That is what we are testing -- known rates that work ( educated guess ) verus new tech .  Then my 2 pass spoon fead corn - is it worth it ? makeing 2 passes ??

As Shaggy asked - how much is too must - verus cost of N ? Here in Indiana --really what is it ? Every year is different here - No rain - rain - then too much rain - How much N did we lose ? How much N do we have left ?

The problem for us - ( me ) is you don't want to leave anything on the table - you want to raise a big yield at the best cost -- IF Adapt - N can give us a good base line then thats a start .

But like everything else it will take some time to work out the bugs in the system OR the app.

If there is interest here - I will try and keep posting up picture an up= date as to what I am seeing frm ground level .

I will say that some  of this work takes   time to do and there is no pay for doing it - the pay back come from what you have learned --- and is worth every penny for doing it !

I would advise anyone  - to check with your schools to see what -- on farm test might help you out and give them a call and work with these VERT smart people .

Here in Indiana - we are blessed with a very good school to work with and support  team - up at Purdue . There training classes thru the summer are TOP notch - I try andget up there aleast once a summer sometimes twice - depending on time and what class it is .

Well better get , Very pretty morning morning here !!!

Ken

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Hard to tell much on this small screen of my phone. Keep us posted at harvest time. Final yield is what really matters anyway.
0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

I always try to check the Chat n Chew for the latest agronomy news from Purdue and around the country and am looking forward to seeing the results of your/their N testing after the combines roll. Gotta say though that I think the ECIN 90/90 rate is going to be the winner most years, especially years with little carryover. Seems like our yields respond to having at least half of the N applied preplant.

0 Kudos