cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Veteran Advisor

N management in corn

I'm generally in agreement with the new university recs on nitrogen. We definitely do seem to be able to be a lot more efficient with N than years ago.

However, it always seemed to me that the year would come when we had severe denitfification before max uptake and we'd feel it. I think that year arrived.

I'm not claiming to have things figured out but we always split N and sidedress the bulk- 40 with the planter, 120 as sidedress NH3. From what I'm able to put together of what I hear and beleive, we got better yields than many in this area this year and the common factor seems to be N managment- preplant NH3 and particularly preplant 28 took a hit especially on wetter soils.

Sidedressing is a pain in the neck and occasionally we've had to rescue a bit of acreage with a highboy and 28. But I think it is one advantage that we have over very large operators who mostly wouldn't risk having to get over that many acres at layby.

In my mind sidedressing is one of the most profitable choices we make- it surely was this year anyway.

fwiw, h

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Blacksandfarmer
Esteemed Advisor

Re: N management in corn

This year was the year I really  got beaten up on N management. We got alot of rain here right after planting and I put on all of my N preplant. I used a coated urea called ESN wich I have had good luck with before but even that seemed to leach away before I got full use out of it. If I had used regular urea I really believe it would have been much worse. After this year I am planning to split apply my N for next year and probably beyond.

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Veteran Advisor

Yeah, it only takes one year.

In '98 we were super wet in early June. Half our N was on preplant and there was one small field where I knew I'd gotten it on a bit light so I went in late with a spraycoupe and streamers and put on 30# as 28.

That field did 30 bpa over the test strip and 30 over the other preplant fields. Let's see- back then $2 corn and .25 N- about a $60 return on maybe $10 invested. Three was about a $25 k mistake, not like I haven't made others but that $25 k compounded over 12 years is really big- in a super competitive environment you only get so many.

I'm raptly interested in some of the experiments using highboys, green sensors etc., just not convinced that the technology is ready yet.

0 Kudos
JAS#17
Contributor

Anybody think there's an advantage in sidedressing NH3 versus 28%?  I've been using liquid.....25 gallons with preplant and sidedressing the other 35.  There's a neighbor that sidedresses ammonia and his had a much healthier look this year.  Just curious.  Thanks.

0 Kudos

You're preaching to the choir here. We've been side dressing Nh3 for probably 20 years now..and the only time I don't use it..is when I have a soil that tends to be hard to seal, I'll side dress 28%. I pick my days though..running the anhydrous most any time...but will watch for when a rain happens to be in the forecast before streaming on 28% behind a coulter.

0 Kudos