cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Narrow row soybeans

All,

One of the things that's popping up in weed-control stories I've worked on in recent issues are the weed control benefits that result from narrow rows (particularly in soybeans). Have any of you narrowed down to 15-inch or 20-inch rows from 30s?

My renter in SD got a new planter this year, going from 15 to 20 inches. Like the 15-inch rows, the 20 inches helped on weed control and it seemed like it cut the white mold down, compared to 15 inches. The conditions in August were conducive to white mold, but (fortunately), not much materialized in 2015.

Thanks,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

0 Kudos
10 Replies
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Narrow row soybeans

We made the change from 30 inch to 10 inch drilled beans several years ago for a dual accoumplishment.   As you say canopy weed control and in our area winter wind (blowing soil) control..  Both have been a pleasant supprise as well as yield enhancement...

Kind of a unique issue for our area....

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

See my response in a different thread.  I'm going to run my 30" planter over the field twice using GPS with a 15" offset.  Weed control is the only reason I'm doing this.  I hope it pays the extra cost and compaction.

I'm an older farmer who will retire in the foreseeable lfuture and will not buy a new planter.  If I were a young man, I'd get a split plantter on 15" rows.

0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Jim.....will be doing same as you for 2016.  Last year was last for me with drilled beans. Don't have GPS "here" so will plant straight one trip and diagonal to first pass on second. 

Reduce machinery upkeep and inventory [sold drill].....control seed population...and provide quicker canopy with15" planting as compared to 30" rows.

John

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Does anyone plant soybeans through a corn plate?  I'm wanting to avoid the doubles and spread the soybeans out for better coverage.  Had a notion to plant the fieldl twice with corn plates and the populatioon set at about 55k or 60k each pass.

0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

a seed corn representative told me that some farmers are doing that in southern mn where they are planting about 90000 seeds per acre and having good results with treated seed and 30 inch rows.

I plant untreated seed at about 150,000 per acre in 30 inch rows, and 170,000 in 15 inch rows on lighter areas of the field with a soybean drill with units that are pretty accurate in depth and seed rate. Can't remember the name of the units but we put them on about ten years ago and they have been trouble free and accurate.

Used to have a lot of fade in yield on the light sandy spots, but now with the 15 inch rows they hold their own and maybe even add to the average.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I'm ordering some 60 cell bean plates.  I can plant aro0und 55,000/acre with them.

I'm going to set the GPS so I autosteer on 30" rows.  I'm going to offset the planter at the drawbar on 7.5"  I'll drive to the end of the field and turn around and come back on the same line.  Then I'll move over 30" and repeat.

My next question is how to make the monitor think I'm covering 1/2 the area at each pass so the acres come out right.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Don't think you'll get that done Jim..... I mean the gps monitor thing.... repeating the same pass and changing the offset back and forth....

May have to just plant the field at 30" twice and offset between plantings..

but maybe I am not following your thoughts correctly?

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

If I'm thinking wrong, it's better to know it up front.

I'm going to strike an A-B line just like always and I'll drive it.  Mine is a pull type planter and I'm going to move the drawbar over so the planter pulls 7.5 inches off to the right side.  I'll leave it there the whole time.  When I get to the end of the field, I should have planted 8 30" rows all of them 7.5 inches to the right of the GPS line.  Now, iI'm going to turn around and drive back on the same GPS line.  Again, the planter will be 7.5 inches to the right of the GPS line.  I'm hoping that means it's 15 inches from the row already in the ground.

The only thiink I'm gong to have to do is figure out a new way to mount the hydraulic pump, as ti comes off the PTO and sits on the drawbar, which will now be off center.  I'll have to build a false drawbar for the hydraulic pump to run on.  I think I can do it.

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

I've been using a crustbuster 20' drill for several years now. 7.5" rows make for a quick canopy at 140k seeds per acre. I used to drill beans in 15" rows just because I couldn't keep a JD drill in the ground so I used only the rear gang to apply more down pressure per opener. I raise wheat as well, so having a drill is a must on my operation.
An added bonus, 7.5" rows with double disc openers tears the soil and corn stalks up enough that I dont worry about slugs on no-till ground anymore.
0 Kudos