cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

New Fungicides Better

Iowa State did some state-wide tests and found the newer fungicides were decidedly better against gray leaf spot than older products.

https://crops.extension.iastate.edu/cropnews/2019/02/summary-foliar-fungicide-applications-corn-iowa...

"All fungicides were effective against gray leaf spot. The newer chemistries appeared superior to older chemistries especially when disease was severe. Applications made at tasseling were more effective than those made earlier in the growing season. "

"Two treatments consistently reduced GLS severity more than all other treatments evaluated at all four locations: Miravis Neo applied at VT-R1 and Revysol premix applied at VT-R1. Disease was reduced more than 90 percent compared to the non-sprayed control. "

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: New Fungicides Better

This reads like a lot of prior proclamations on this subject ----- the last line is telling....

the first line states something the last line denies.....

"decidedly better against GLS than older products" ---- leading one to think there are new formulations of fungicides available.

"Disease was reduced more than 90% compared to the non-sprayed control."   ------my assumption ----So there was no comparison between fungicides, only a comparison with no fungicide applied.......

Wow, even a tiny %, say 5% improvement is leaf health and no change in yield would meet that statement.  All I am saying is their conclusion statements are a clue as to the lack of amazing results...

Read the test published where the untreated test has a yield of 238 b/a    and the very best treatment in the test is at 243.---- Less than 1% improvement in a region where climate should provide the very best results.  

Out here on the fringe my tests haven't been that good...

This continues to be one of the most promoted and hyped "snake oil" projects in corn production...Until there is proof of economic benefit to production.....  The economic benefit to promotion is well tested and widely proven.

Veteran Advisor

Your comments show you did not read the article.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

yes i read the article 

The article does not agree with the conclusions of the test...... yield gains were not economically significant to support usage.  

Average improvement in yield was in the range of 4 bushel.... at extreme 7 bu/a   

not significant enough to encourage usage  or support statements like this from the article...

All fungicides were effective against gray leaf spot.  Has to be made with qualifiers..... Economically effective?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

What does this mean? "No effect of fungicide was detected on yield among location"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

*Gray leaf spot severity means followed by the same letter are not statistically different from each other, P<0.1. In other words, there is a 90% probability that those treatments were equally effective against GLS. 

Yeah, the chart has to be studied with some care.  I emailed the author and said couldn't they make this a little simpler for farmers to understand.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

They just need better writing skills. I took their info to mean --

- Essentially all treatments were effective against GLS

- Some newer fungicide treatments might be more effective than some older ones

- And, if no yield impact identified, what is the economic benefit

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

precisely....... the treatment has to be effective enough to pay its way ....but they must need to prove that all treatments are effective.... 

And if they are what difference does it make if they cost more than they benefit..... 

University tests that do not include economic qualifiers are near worthless.

Short side is Universities are asked to test detailed absolute effectiveness and they do.  But for the farm business considering the use of the product it is an economic question plain and simple...... 

We should know better ....... and shouldn't need to have it explained to us..... We should be able to ask the right questions.

If your salary depended on the profitability of this crop would you use it.?.... Will it return at least $40 per acre to management?  It appeared from the test that over 80% of the treatments applied did not.

I don't think the test needs dumbed down...... it needs to wise up ----GLS has been around long before any treatment existed.  And no treatment yet has stopped it.  We are chearing about very limited effectiveness.

If it were an insect would we consider these results good??

If we lower the bar enough a warm breeze at the right time has effectiveness against GLS.  According to the test there is a doubt that GLS has a consistant measureable effect on yield. I am just saying it means very little untilyou bring in economic yield cost analysis..... and unfortunately ag econ gets ignored in research used to promote sales.

0 Kudos