moisture difference.jpg

This is a sample of northern corn???

Might be a slight quality issue??

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Re: Nice little graphic

Thanks for posting Hobby. That corn looks to have seen some severe stress. Anyone know if those moisture differentials are normal or do they just apply to drought stressed corn??

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

That is just normal dry down of corn - the tip is first to dry down as in it's closest to open shuck - that is how they are getting some corn number to dry faster - for the tip to bust out of the shuck , or has one less leaf wraped round the corn .  I don't think there is anything to worry about . 

0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Grabbed a couple of ears to hand sample yesterday. Tips were 23 and butts were 24. Not near the differential in the illustration, but not stressed looking corn either.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Hey Hank - don't you live in IL ? just wondering , Interesting how close your test was - but wish I would have saved article on dry down - will look to see if I can find it - lol

To me - or anyway it seems to always happen to me - you hand samle soom corn - lets say - it's 25 - fired up the machine and nose in and it gos up a couple of points - I just figured it was from the lower part of the ear .

BTW Are  you shelling yet ?

Double BTW -- Getting closer to doing the N-Plot ! -Where did that time go this summer ??? Smiley Happy

Have a good one !

Ken

0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Yes. West of Bloomington. We got the first field of corn out and trying to find some corn under 28%. Switched over to beans and running out of ripe beans also. Yields look to be near APH on our farms. Amazing considering we mudded in the crop and then turned bone dry for July, August, and September. Test weights are low (50 to 54) prolly due to the dry weather.. Some later planted or thin soil stuff in the area is pretty bad, but most is near APH. 

Tested some more ears this evening trying to find a dry field to shell. Interesting to see the larger ears testing 22 to 23 and the smaller ones testing 28 to 31. Same field same variety. Sample was small (6 ears) so not too sure if it is the norm, but always heard that corn that was healthy when finishing maturity dries down faster than corn that dies prematurely, so may be that the stalks with larger ears were the healthier ones. Makes me wonder if you were hand sampling the larger ears and so got a slightly lower moisture test.

Looking forward to the N-Plot results

0 Kudos