cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Non-GMO crops

All,

Have you or anyone else you know planted any non-GMO corn/soybeans? I sat in on a presentation last summer where a major seed company talked about it being a grown market, but didn't follow it much over the winter.

Best,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

Successful Farming 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Non-GMO crops

If you prepay early, you can get non GMO seed for $140, where as just plain RR seed would be $210 or so.  So if you`re in a C/B rotation, it`s a way to save $20 or more an acre.  If Roundup still "killed everything" it`d be a different deal, but now take that $20/acre savings and apply it towards the elevator squirting Corvus/Atrazine on with the 28% and go fishing the rest of the summer.

With beans, I still like RR seed because I have fields with the devil`s weed called "Burr cumuber" and the only way to combat that is a late layby application of Gly.  Diacamba beans sound promising, however it`s labeled you gotta quit spraying after R1.

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Thx, BADeere,

I'll ask around this summer as I visit farmers about the non-GMO seed, sounds like there is quite a price difference between stacks and non-GMO seed. I'll ask about bur cumber, too. I've heard of the weed, but don't know much about it.

Gil 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

It`s the devil`s weed Gil!  Once you get it, you feel like you served on Hacksaw Ridge, it is spindley and grows in the shade of the crop and comes up after layby, it has vines and just smothers puddles of crops.   It`s easy to kill, but you have to time a application with drops just before it gets to big to get through.  Pre`s don`t havelot of activity on it, you can pull up a plant that germinated about 5" down.   It`s only a problem in peat and muck soil.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Gil, ALL of my corn is non-GMO this year. I save on seed, plus I have a non-GMO market close by that pays a premium. I have not noticed a yield drag either.

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

I've planted non-GMO soybeans on-and-off but not recently.  The herbicide solutions don't thrill me.  Not saying I won't in the future.

I don't see much benefit for a non-GMO market around me.

0 Kudos