cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

North Carolina needs some of the Midwest rain

180i896ECB0DEB8E66BD181i22295C1B1E543684It has been a dry June here in eastern NC. The only rain has been scattered T-storms. Some places getting a good soaking, most places not enough to settle the dust. The rain gauge at my house has recorded just over an inch for the month. This past week has been very hot with heat indexes at 100+ and another week of it forecasted. Most of the corn has tasseled and is hurting from the heat and lack of moisture. A very good looking corn crop a month ago is looking not so good now. Soybeans a doing alright but some of the guys that had wheat had to delay planting their double crop soybeans because lack of moisture.

The first picture is the worst looking of my corn. This is on sandy soil that dries out quick.  The other picture of corn is in the black ground. This soil holds moisture better plus it has had more rain on it.

7 Replies
Contributor

Re: North Carolina needs some of the Midwest rain

Thanks for sharing the photos. It's a good reminder how varied conditions can be, and are, for our crops.  Read this morning here on the crop-weather report that there's a chance for better rains over the next ten days in the Southeast. Hope that applies to your part of the country. And to your farm.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've had corn that looked similar several times in the not too distant past.  These last two years have been the exception with too much rain.  Rain does make grain but it also can drown prospects.   Unfortunately if everyone had a good/great crop prices would plummet even further.  This is what you get when one takes rather than sets the price for his product.   The availability of crop insurance can dull the pain although one would much rather have good crop.  Hopefully the demand will finally catch up to production capability.  Until then some will suffer to the benefit of the others.  I've been there and taken a few lumps. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I'm beginning to question the '10 corn and soybean crop. no doubt, alot of excellent areas, but everywhere is getting nicked at least or pounded at worst by rain and hail. and the southeast and delta are dry. heck, wright, franklin, and butler counties in iowa probably produce as much corn as some southern states and they've been absolutely dumped on the last week. getting more this morning and probably tonight. parts of indiana, ohio, illinois, missouri, nebraska, south dakota, and iowa have all had difficulties. I'm not telling anything that most of you/us don't know. but do the importers and endusers see this crop dwindling? wouldn't be surprised to see these crop ratings start to tumble.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

In central Illinois I've seen absolutely great crops, some which are on poorer clay soil.  Have also seen fair to poor crops on good prairie ground.  I've got some fantastic corn but too many spots that will be lucky to hit 50 bu.   Forecast was for dry weather for a few days and it rained again last night and now they are showing a 40% chance for the next couple of days.  This year 40% has really meant 100%.  Tiled out the wet spots and other areas that tended to be wet, but it certainly isn't near enough for a year like this.  Actually the refuge corn looks the best.   Already had applied about 200 lbs N but the corn was so yellow in many areas that we broadcast another 30 lbs which considerably helped.  However with corn prices this low, too much spent on inputs and a given we aren't going to approach 200 bu/acre,  certainly aren't going to make any money.  Sure glad I'm not renting and don't have a land payment.  Only looking at the local crops, my guess is that beans have more upside.   The only hope is that the EPA finally gets off its duff and approves a higher ethanol rate or the crops really are worse than expected and the board takes notice.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just wondering if you got any rain yet? In central Pa. We've been running dry last 8 weeks. Some of the corn that was planted on the 5 of may is only knee high and curled hard.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We got some rain last week when a cold front passed through. I had a total of 3 inches of much need rain, but the cooler temps was a blessing as well. More hot and dry weather forecasted for the rest of this week. All of the late planted corn around here is starting to tassel.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I'd gladly share our rain with you. Just south of here, it is the rainiest month of June in history. Over 12 inches.  The other thing is we've been educated to think that our next drought will come out of the the Carolinas, so we get nervous when you get dry.  I'm sure we all wish you good weather.

0 Kudos