cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ALR5109886DW
Friend

Oats: Can land cause oats to have an odor?

I purchased a large quantity of organic steel cut oats from a company. They had a strong odor both when uncooked and cooked. The odor was similar to granola, but significantly stronger and not as pleasant.

I emailed the company about the issue. I was told that the odor was due to the field they were grown on.  The person said it is unlkely they were spoiled.

They are darker than other steel cut oats I have eaten. I have never had steel cut oats that had this strong of scent.

They were processed on June 8th, 2015 and have an expiration of August 2016.

Can a field or land cause oats to have a strong odor or are the oats either being grown or processed improperly?

I would also like to know if the oats are safe to eat.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Re: Oats: Can land cause oats to have an odor?

Like my doctor told me several years back, when I thought I had an allergic reaction to something I had eaten -- he said to buy some more, keep the package handy, have the phone handy, and eat some of it again, then if a problem, call him and head to his office with the package it came in.

P.S -- not recommended for the very young, very old, ill, diseased or disabled, nor if you live too far from your doctor.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Doesn't sound like the source is willing to stand behind their product...

I would find another source...

If the land is causing them to taste or smell, clean them.  

I don't think that thesoil type would cause unusual odor...

We have fields with widely varied soil types and have never seen an odor or appearance change in the grain harvested in one area verses another...

I would avoid that source.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

I wound run the b.s. flag to the top of the pole and demand a refund. Trust your nose, taste buds.

Might want to cancel some of your back to the good 'ol days wacky subscriptions. Do they ever mention the average life expectancy of the people from back then?

Ingesting spoiled, contaminated, products of questionable origin and limited oversite might not be a life prolonging endeavor.

I think I'll stick with Quaker from the local supermarket.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Unless the field had a large amount of manure applied to the growing crop in the spring, I doubt it would smell. You do know that oats are all non GMO right? When in doubt, throw it out!

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

I read that steel cut oats can go rancid, don't eat them, throw them out.  Apparently, they should be stored in the refrigerator (?), and don't let them get too old.

0 Kudos