cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Planting Dates a Must?

There's talk of the Drought Monitor showing more and more states, this month. This has me thinking about spring planting. I have a bucket full of questions. Can you help me out?

Do you pay much attention to advice to get your corn planted by a benchmark date (say May 10)? Given your locale (please specify), do you have a target each year to finish corn planting? Given this year's weather, what's your 2012 target? Does early planting pay? Does late planting penalize? How do you compensate for late planting? (Shorter hybrids?)

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Planting Dates a Must?

Hi Mike, in NCIA April 25th is plum.  Later planting doesn`t always equate into lower yields, sometimes the weather favors the late planted. Everyone wants to be done with corn by May 1, even in peat which is early IMO. 100 day corn is popular around here it yields good as the best. I wouldn`t be worried about planting May 10th but if I did the neighbors might think I was sick and start planting it for me. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Regarding your point that late planting doesn't always mean lower yields, I agree. Last year, my brother planted his soybeans so late that he was afraid, at one point, he was going to have to switch to corn. But, they actually did just fine. i don't know if it was luck or just ideal weather along the way.

Mike

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I don't think you can compare late corn and late soybeans.  I think ISU says that you plant longer season corn until June, then maybe you shorten up.

I will start planting when the soil is 50° at 4", and at April 15 I'm starting to get eager.  I like to be done by 1 May but will accept 8 May.  I like beans to be done by 8 May but will take 15 May or even 20 May.  You do lose some yeild as you delay.

This is along I-80 in east-central Iowa.

I would not switch from corn to beans until 1 June. 

0 Kudos
tree fmr
Advisor

Being all no-till we say wait until the neighbors are planting then go fishing for 3 days, if no rain start planting!  Also have to be aware of any insurance requirements for planting dates.  Last year it rained during those 3 days and we didn't start planting for another 12 because of the rain and cold, our corn came up the same time as the neighbors and out yielded them by a large margin.  2 years ago we planted one field on April 14 and got hit by a frost, luckly only minor damage.

We are also east central Iowa, watch the weather forecast, and ensure the soil temp is above 50.  I think all this is more important than a date on the calendar.

0 Kudos
Mike M2692830
Senior Contributor

It wasn't too many years ago when we got the corn in the ground before May started(spring it frosted Mothers Day). That was an early planted spring that didn't mean higher yields. Your right about waiting till may to start; most of your neighbors will be done..with beans too....MikeM

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Mike, with the late planted corn outyielding the early planted corn for two years now I wouldn't say early planted corn is guaranteed to yield better, but it should certainly be dryer at harvest and store better. Personally, I wont start planting corn until April 20th and soybeans wont go into the ground until May 1st.... My seed compensation for late planting is what ever is sitting in my barn at the time and a lot of praying for a late frost... 

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Corn planting window here is generally May 5th to 20th, for best results.  Can start earlier if the soil is warm enough, and can go later if you shorten the corn season, or are willing to risk an early frost.  Here we don't like to push the too early window too much, as we can get a spat of cold weather, and uneven emergence.  I once planted 15 days later than the guy across the fence, and my corn emerged only 3 days behind his.

Ive seen beans planted May 1 outyield beans planted June 1, and I've seen June 1 planted beans outyield May 1 Planted beans.  All about the summer weather over here.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Nebrfarmr,

I'm with you on that. I had a guy tell me, just last night, that his seed dealer thinks that what is going to happen this year is farmers are going to rush out and plant corn. That early planting effort will be followed by a cold snap. And he says once that corn seed takes that first "cold drink" it's trouble from that point on.

And on your point of late vs. early planting performance, I'm with you there too. Just last year, my neighbor farmer was so late planting soybeans that he nearly made the decision not to. He did and that crop did just as well, if not better, than earlier planted stuff. I realize that's not how you want to operate, but the weather-gods smiled upon his field, tat's all.

Mike

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Not to mention, my seed dealer says that of the varieties I want, early orders are all they have.  If I get into a replant situation, the corn I get, will not be anywhere near my first choice of varities.

0 Kudos