cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planting Row Width

Recently I posted the question on best practice (drill or corn planter) for planting sorghum.  Thanks for the advice but can anyone tell me the best row width for planting?  I have gotten everything from 7.5 to 30. 

Appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Planting Row Width

I think it helps if we know where you are. If you google "best sorghum row width" you'll get some interesting studies that vary depending on weather and geography.  Good luck.

0 Kudos

From my own experience and what I've gathered on this site I would say the better your ground the wider row width you can go.   In Iowa where they measure topsoil in feet I guess most beans are in 30" rows.  Here in our clay where we measure topsoil in inches  we are in 15" and 7.5" as we went to narrower bean rows 30 years ago.  Having absolutely no experience in sorghum I don't know if this helps or not.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
djsinseia
Frequent Contributor

For grain that I was going to combine or grain or forage sorghum that I intended to chop for silage, I would grow in 30's or whatever fits your chopper head.  For forage sorgym to bale, drilling might be all right.  If baling though, I would mow it when it is knee high and bale 2-3 times per season.  Waiting until Aug/Sept and then trying to dry out a 8 foot tall plant to bale is challenging if not impossible.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

In the State of Delaware.  Planting in very sandy soil.  I will be combining for grain crop.

0 Kudos

From what I've been told there's not a lot of difference in yield going to narrower rows in lighter ground.  But I have no experience in farming sandy soil.

0 Kudos