cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Plot day 2015

Can't believe another year in the books for the plot work and what a year !!! This was a timing plot this year with Purdue - This is my 3rd year working with them -  It is what makes farming fun for me - the production side and the reserch that go's into it - This is just not for me - this is public info that we are doing . First I will post up some pictures of last Thursday - then I will post up the results I recieved on Friday , IF i'm smart enought - lol

IMG_1714.JPG

Big J and I have things ready to go - Just waiting for the team from Purdue to arrive , We use the weigh wagon to calibrate the monitor - which I put in 3 weights the day before then have Dr. Nielsen set the other 2 and check it out - To set the monitor thi year - we ran one pass 2mph - one at 2.5 - then I ran @ 3 - 3.5 and 4 mph - this is to cover any variation threw out the field - the finally monitor check showed only a .01 + or minus - dang near perfect .

Below - The crew -- From Left to right - Norm , the catch art driver - been here for the last 14 ? 15 harvests ,

Doctor Nielsen , Dr. Jim Camberator , J , Me , and Brandon - Picturer taker  , Scott - our county agent . It takes a team effort to do these deals

IMG_1720.JPGIMG_1716.JPG

Big J holding the head up - lol also cleaning the windows up good -along with my Agronomist Brandon 

IMG_1722.JPG

The partys over - where did this year go ???

0 Kudos
17 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Plot day 2015

V-3         V-9          V15

200 ---------------------------------- 204.3

100        100----------------------- 207.6

100        50           50 ----------- 203.9

50          75           75------------ 205.6

50          150 ---------------------- 207.9

Mositure was 19.6 

Only a 4 bu. diff from top to bottom , thats with 10 inchs of rain in June - 12 inchs in July ! So any ideas as to why not a bigger diff in yields ?????? This is the 3rd year I have put out an N plot with Purdue - In the past few years we added my split app in with it - it also did not make any if very little diff in the past as to just appling all N at V-3 - 4 type stage . Very interest stuff - go's against what some are saying about spoon feeding the crop - I sure can't make it work yet - BUT the timing plot is only one year of data - it will take several to find a pattern - if there is any .

What do you think 76 ? Blacksand farmer ?? 3020 ?? you seen it first hand -

Ken

sw363535
Honored Advisor

Ken, are there no preplant applications compared?

As to the lack of variation,, I would look at soil type.  coarser soils tend to show more response... Nice dark soil with good fertility holding capacity probably won't show that much variation...

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

sw - No we don't have a preplant in there - one reason is getting some one lined up with auto steer to apply it - then it would be NH3 against 28 % We are working on this foe next season - matter of fact - after the field day - there were 3 different farmers volunteer to help do it - So will see what happens .

Agree on the soils - this is a pretty good field - and is might how a lot different if it was was on sandy soils .

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

We strip til liquid ahead placing it 8+ inches below planting at least a month ahead..   We don't have the frozen ground issue as long as you do.... I am guessing

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

With so many variables in play establishing a pattern will be difficult even with several years of data.

We all know that even tho a field looks uniform there are spots that behave differently for a number of reasons.

That little dip where water accumulates and doesn't quite drain as fast or that pocket of lighter soil, etc.

It may not look like much but the 2 plots with the bigger shots at V-9 do stick out a bit.

I am curious as to any noticeable variance in moisture content?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

76 very true,,,  This also leans toward an opinion I have had for some time.  In corn, even though scouts promote it,  nitrogen at V15 seems too late.  Even though there is testing under irrigation that shows some benefit...

My suspecion is that comparisons are with corn with less nitrogen applied.  The benefit might be more at an earlier stage.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Also agree 76 - But there will be a pattern - in time , I thought the same thing at first - then one day it will just pop out at yeah .

The 2 shots at V-9 are better - but it's only 4 bpa - even at 4 dollars a bu . = 16 an acre extra - then add in the cost of the app -  you really have not gained much if any in net return - what to me is unreal is with the V-3 put on - say the 200 units - all up front - then get 10 inchs in June - 12 inchs in July and then only lose out by 4 bpa ???? I thought we would see at least 10 - 15 bpa difference - To me was it lack of roots ? Or did the lack of rain - right after the V-15 was put on ? I need to reread a reply from Jim , but think I rememeber it right - Did the early loss of N from the rain and then the lack of rain late - more or less equal out the plot ????

Oh yeah - on the mositure - - this also surprised me - it all ran from 19.6 to 19.5 - but makes since in there was only 4 bu difference in yeild - now if it was 15bpa or more difference -then the mositure would have probably been a lot more .

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Here we would say it is good soil (above 1.3% organic matter).  It has lots of water and fertility holding capacity so the benefit of multiple applications is very limited...  Get it on so the plant grows into it and knows it is there...

Beyond that your struggling to get applications in timely because of weather patterns..

funny aspect to this thought...... The same agronomist who praises late applications and spoon feeding also says that ear size is determined early...

ECIN
Senior Advisor

sw ---  good post - but that is what these trails are for - what work's ????? right - There are so many companyies selling this or that - but some have merit - like spoon feeding - and this may vary as to what kind of soil you farm , farming is a learning session every day and will always will be - some days - I think Ken - you do have a clue - yet to go over the the farm the next day and be ??? clueless Smiley Happy

That is why I love doing this kind of work - I have more harvest behind me than a head - what is it they say ?? pay it forward ?? if I can help the young guys out some - like before me that helped me with advice .

I'm very lucky to be able to work with some of the best in reseach of crops - And  yes - this old dog still can learn - Smiley Happy

0 Kudos