@ECIN wrote:

V-3         V-9          V15

200 ---------------------------------- 204.3

100        100----------------------- 207.6

100        50           50 ----------- 203.9

50          75           75------------ 205.6

50          150 ---------------------- 207.9

Mositure was 19.6 

Only a 4 bu. diff from top to bottom , thats with 10 inchs of rain in June - 12 inchs in July ! So any ideas as to why not a bigger diff in yields ?????? This is the 3rd year I have put out an N plot with Purdue - In the past few years we added my split app in with it - it also did not make any if very little diff in the past as to just appling all N at V-3 - 4 type stage . Very interest stuff - go's against what some are saying about spoon feeding the crop - I sure can't make it work yet - BUT the timing plot is only one year of data - it will take several to find a pattern - if there is any .

What do you think 76 ? Blacksand farmer ?? 3020 ?? you seen it first hand -

Ken

Ken, think I will keep preplanting NH3 with a stabilizer until you come up some data that says not to do so. Like my dad used to say, work when the ground is fit. If it is too wet to preplant and comes planting time will plant and then sidedress. Looks like timeliness is more important than timing.

ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Plot day 2015

3020 - I know what your saying but - these are all sidedress apps. by waiting to sidedress it - you can save the cost of the N serve or what ever you put in th NH3 - The good thing about putting it on pre is -- it's on - and don't have to worry about weather at sidedress time . Glad you came by that day - Don't know yet on what were putting out in the plots next year - I'm sure that we will retest the timing trails again .

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

ECIN

Thanks for posting these results. Wow, it sure does run counter to the spoonfeeding approach that seems to be the thing these days. I sat in on a presentation a year ago that I think agreed with your findings. I'd have to look over my notes to be sure, but your study is  reminder to look at them before I do a sidedressing story later this winter.

Thx,

Gil 

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Ken...just to add a touch to your data...at our Peer Meeting in August we shared data on some tissue tests we did during July. We were comparing tissue content of the major nutrients in an area of land where we know the soil content (well, since we've done 1 acre grids for 16 years now we pretty well know most areas).

The results were pretty interesting in that they would confirm your thoughts. No roots = plant defeciences even in areas with abundant nutrients. Those yellow strips we all saw for weeks in July. The yellow strips were SUPER HIGH, basically toxic, in both Iron and Aluminum, and low in N and P  and Zinc.

When we tested the green streek above the tile, not 20' away, the nutrient balance was perfect, no Iron or AL toxicity.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Thanks Gil - But that is one of the main reasons I got hooked up with Purdue - They have done these types of studies for a longtime and it needed to be accurate  in the data - I was reading - doing the split app for 2 years prior and was asked - just what kind of difference in yield I was seeing - That's was a hard question for me to answer - As I was trying to do it right but after working with the Pro's - I was way off base . I have read and read about the spoon feeding - yet as far as our farm - can not make it work - economically , and thats what the game is about - right ?  I'm not saying it won't work someplace - 

We are already working idea's for the  plot work for next season - it will be here soon - Smiley Happy

ken

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Thanks ' Time '   -  There is a write up in the latest issue of Prairie Farmer ( got mine yesterday ) on the plot and what Dr. Camberator thoughts were on it . Interesting .

ken

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Ken,

I really appreciated this thread .,,,,,,,,,, well presented...

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Thank you sw .

0 Kudos