Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Poll: 2013 crop rotation plans after this year's drought

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Re: Poll: 2013 crop rotation plans after this year's drought

I'm in the midst of adjusting some rotations, so I will have a little more corn on corn that in future years, but yeas, 2013 will probablynot change at this point.

One caveat - if it is dry in the sprring, there is one COC field that may bo BOC.  We'll see.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

What few acres I farm. will be in the same rotation, especially the irrigated.  May plant some forage sorghum on the dryland, if it looks like it is going to be dry, because the cows need more to eat, than dirt.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Jeff, I will be changing rotation on one field to go back to soybeans. I haven't made much if any money on corn in the last two years. I will give two years of beans followed by a year of corn a try for next year.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Something for you guy's out west to think about is carryover of chemicals . Most chemicals need so much rain on them to break them down , as in Attrazine or Pursuit on beans , that could really screw up a corn crop . Even here in Indiana , ( we have been getting some rain as of late ) i think I had better have a test run on it to be sure . Just something else to think about . As far as rotation for me , it will be the same , 50 /50 if test's come back ok .
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I'm nearly always a wheat, milo, follow rotation.  I've started (on one piece of rented ground) to follow milo with corn and then right back to wheat that same fall.  Also, I'm considering the implementation of something after the winter wheat crop to keep something growing until winter sets in.  Possibly a cover crop blend, or if moisture isn't an issue, maybe even double crop grain or forage sorghum.  Someone in an earlier post mentioned double crop soybeans, which I don't have an issue with other than I don't like leaving the soil completely bare all winter after the beans have been harvested.

0 Kudos