cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Pollinating Weather?

Finishing tasseling & possibly pollinating this week.  We had high's in the low to mid 80's last week, I guess this is just par for the course when you attempt dryland corn in Central Kansas.  Haven't received any measurable precipitation since the last week of June.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
farmerguy89
Advisor

Re: Pollinating Weather?

W/o rain those temps are going to cause problems. Huge stressful swings in temps. V12-v16 corn increasingly sensitive to drought or heat
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

A couple years ago we had two days in the upper nineties during pronation. Even though we had plenty of of moisture every ear had a collar about half way down where the kernels were kind of stunted. Both ends of the ear looked normal. It was so disappointing with all the rain we had that the yields were still off quite a bit.
0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Not looking good Shaggy. The 100 degree temps will hurt pollination, but not as much as high night time temps. You might be OK with night time temps in the low 70's, but this is not ideal. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Optimized-012.JPGI really can't complain about pollination weather in my neck of the woods. 75 and showers yesterday, 80 and partly cloudy today. I'd guess 75% done with pollination. Beans are knee high and blooming like crazy. Even double crop beans have 5 leaves now. Might just have Christmas again this year!Optimized-010.JPG

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Pollination at any time here. No rolling yet but getting dry. Would like my rain, which may come soon
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Does anyone know the effect a bad stom has on pollination. We always hear about heat but what about heavy rain or strong winds. Looking at some corn around here that was layed down by wind a week or so ago. None of mine was hurt. But did some of the pollen blow away?
0 Kudos