cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Psnt sidedress v your regular/old n amount on corn.

Hi guys.

What experience have you had with the psnt in corn against your regular sidedress program? Yields? Dollar savings?

Anything?

Which system works best?
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Psnt sidedress v your regular/old n amount on corn.

I'm sorry but I am not familiar with psnt - what is that?

0 Kudos
KSKid501
Veteran Contributor

PSNT= Pre-Sidedress Nitrate/Nitrogen Test

Edit: No firsthand experience for me, but the studies I've shown show considerable fert. savings- my college professor told us he knows a guy who cut fertilizer costs by ~20% by knowing whats there, and another 5% by switching to a blended fertilizer (to reduce leaching).

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

I'm with the Kid = No experience with the psnt  But do know is was made to use with a farmers manure program - as to see what might be available for the crop - here in Indiana I know its used but but not as  much on non manure ground - in my part of the world anyway - on the non manure ground - results have been very mixed , Probably due to soil types in a field - and on the amount of organic matter .

Good to see others  "  chaseing the N challenge "  Smiley Happy

If you do this is summer - please post up what your seeing

Thanks

ken

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Probably a good idea. This was a awesome year for my N usage. But I'm just taking a shot in the dark with this program.
10 units with dry MEZZ
45 units as herbicide carrier
130 units sidedress
185 total applied nitirogen

Total whole farm average yield = 208 bu/ac

BTW without a test I have no idea what my carryover might be. I'm far enough south I think I lose most of what was left by the privious crop.
0 Kudos

I'm going to be using less than 40 lbs of N in my 2x2, so it should be a valid test... for any of you guys that broadcast anything pre its garbage.

Its interesting that some PSNT info says that no N is needed after an alfalfa sod (i.e. http://nmsp.cals.cornell.edu/publications/factsheets/factsheet3.pdf). Yet others, like http://gocorn.net/v2006/Nitrogen/articles/Nitrogen%20Status%20in%202013.html say that a lot of alfalfa/clover fields needed more N..

Nitrogen costs are most certainly on the rise. Its mind boggling... urea is up 30/ mt at wholesale.

0 Kudos