cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwobcw
Advisor

RR Resistant marestail

I was told to possibly expect RR resistant marestail this year as it was 25 miles away last year.  What's the best way of managing it in beans?  On most acres I don't do a preplant burn down.  Usually spray when beans are coming up and sometimes get away with 1 spraying if I can hold off long enough.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: RR Resistant marestail

I'm surprised you get by with a one pass program. I suppose I could get by with one, if I had a fall application applied. First thing I would do this year..is buy some FirstRate to mix with my Glyphosate. It doesn't take much...but if you don't have it early it sometimes gets hard to come up with later. OSU is recommending some kind of residual early...but it's bothering me that they want you to use another ALS herbicide..and the marestail will be resistant to that pretty quickly.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Pup even though we are fairly close there is a big difference in our farming ways.  Being so close to the lake we stay cold and wet longer than about anybody.  A friend has relatives farming in Rochester Mn and they are usually done both spring and fall before we are here.  I have found out that RU works so much better in warmer temps I hold off to spray it until its at least 75 degrees.  Half killing weeds is what leads to resistance.  It's not every year and not in every field I can get by with 1 spraying.  Chances are fields only sprayed once last year will need 2 this year.  I also have some fields that flood every spring from a creek that I till every year because of crop debris washing into piles.  I used to burn it every year but have found out tillage works better.  Those are 1 spraying fields for sure.  I saw some marestail last summer out by Farmer Ohio where I attended an auction.  It almost looks like goldenrod.  From what I saw most of it seemed to be in the corners of the fields like maybe the sprayer missed covering it.

0 Kudos
hymark
Frequent Contributor

The easiest way is LL soybeans.  Sharpen burndown, maybe 2 oz of Valor, one shot of Ignite and it will be clean.

If you want to stay RR be vigilant.  Burndown and residual a must.

We live in marestail heaven and I have watched evolve over the last 10 years.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

What are your takes on Dr. Don Huber from Purdue on this glyphosate research---just got a flyer on this ? ?

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

K please share.

0 Kudos