cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

RR2 beans

What % of beans using RR2 technology is everybody planting?   Are you up on RR2 from last year?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: RR2 beans

It depends... I grow seed for monsanto and have grown their "roundup ready to yield"' for a couple years. they haven't told us our seed acres this year. I grow mostly rr1's on my non seed acres. the rr2's are good beans, but the claim that they are 7-11% better than their best other beans is misleading at best. they are good beans , just not that good. I was told that rr2's use the same gene as the rr1's, just a different insertion method. I can't prove that either way. Our best beans last year were a rr1 NK variety at 67 bpa.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Maybe it's the area but RR2 beans last year made a believer out of me.  They were all 60+ which is fantastic for around here.  The best RR1 beans made 54 which is still great.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I planted all RR2 beans last year and will again this year. It is really hard to compare. Three years ago we made 52 bu the acre. Last year we had .40 of rain from june 18th to August 10th. I didnt think we would bother harvesting them. But was impressed when then averaged 15 bu ac. But i cant say it was because they were RR2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Last year I didn't plant a single RR2 variety..primarily because the price was higher, but also because I believed the RR1 varieties would still hold their own with them if you figured it from a net profit angle. This year..I've gone about 35-40% RR2...because the price has gone down..and the yield bump shown by the second generation RR2 varieties is getting better. My seed company rep said it was kind of like when RR1 was the new hot thing..that those varieties probably weren't the best yielders. Now we have more information on more varieties...and I think we're going to end up with better yields. What concerns me the most...is the weed control. I'm having to add additional chemicals to my post weed control to do a good job....so I hope the seed companies are spending as much time looking for varieties resistant  to Synchrony..or Banvel...so we can fight the resistant weed problems

0 Kudos