cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: article on seed company mergers

https://www.agriculture.com/crops/corn/what-farmers-can-expect-from-the-latest-round-of-seed-company...  

There`s a claim that`s been oft repeated "seed is responsible for the tremendous yields" .   I don`t know that tells the whole story on yield increases.  I went to a Iowa State farmer meeting a couple winters ago and ISU compared a old hybrid with the latest modern numbers using current growing practices.  The old number was planted at lower population to be fair, as it wasn`t bred for 38,000.  As I recall results, the yield was very comparable, the grain was just wetter for the old corn.  

My theory has been attrition each year takes old fashioned farmers that perhaps would tolerate a less than picket fence stand, aren`t sure what stands for what in a NPK analysis, maybe put up with a few weeds.    They retire and the farmers that take their place push all aspects of getting a top yield.  I`m not saying good or bad, but to survive these days you do have to better stay on top of things and not sit on your lead like the time in 1973 that you sold all your beans for $13. 

Growth regulators,  soil testing,  machinery to be timely and more reliable chemicals (Roundup, what have you done for me lately?   Smiley Happy  ).   But seed is just a small factor in the yield equation.   My hero Herman Warsaw was raising 370 bushel corn in the early 1980`s.   And here we are now 35 some years later thinking wonders what if we get over 250 bushel corn...well we don`t have flying cars either   Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I_nG29c-7I   

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

BA   -  Interesting  thoughts -  on  the  word  precision  -  precise ,   and  Herman  has  a  big  grin -  -  -

Kinda  like '' feeding  the who,  whom,  them,  those  other  guys  ''  -  -  - 

If  corn was  $1.50,  corn  flakes  would  be  priced  at  ?  -  -  -   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

K-289, the price of Corn Flakes only is connected to the price of corn when it goes to $8/bushel, then Kellogs howls about "Ethanol" and "food vs fuel".   Other than that Corn Flakes is priced at what the market will bear.  Smiley Happy

With seed contribution to increased trendline yields.   i think the bulk of it is seed treatments and breeding to make it tolerate early and super early planting...well, free replant seed too  Smiley Happy   Things are done today that wouldn`t have worked with 1980`s seed technology.   And that early planting is a big plus with our smaller and smaller spring planting windows.  Maybe your window to plant is April 18-22 and some of us feel in this area that`s a little too early as there`s still a snowpile in the old K-Mart parking lot.   Well, you either hit it or watch it rain for the next 4 weeks and then you`re on the other end of the spectrum, behind the 8-ball.  

"I`ve never lost a crop planting too early" I still don`t fully understand that statement, but those that say it drive newer pickups than me and have nicer machinery and spend January and February in Florida and Hawaii.   So, plant early if you can, thanks DeKalb!

Honored Advisor

Just a thought

Corn Flakes still have competition on the shelf.............and alternative substitutes all over the store.

The seed monopoly play should have been hammered by congress from the start.  The now Foreign owned seed monopoly.

Look at the present dilemma ----- poor production all around..... 

we have had a downward price in corn for 4 years..... Corn seed still sells with the same retail price it did 4 years ago if not more.  If you beg you can get some discount.     If China stops helping the Germans keep US corn carry over up, and we see $7 corn this fall and winter as we should with a conservative 1/3 drop in production, then the price of corn seed will be at $500 per unit before spring planting even if it is preordered.  And "traders" and usda will have the price back down to $4.50 within months of announcing the biggest corn crop on record in March of 2020.  So your gonna plant 30% + higher priced corn seed with very little opportunity to market it before the price is down to about what you could have priced it at this summer.------- (Traders being the folks who parasite the commodities markets without liability for their lies and manipulation of the market)

I have a hard time blaming the cost of food for our problems in production Ag.  We really need to stop worshiping DC every day.

0 Kudos