cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luca_Anuk
Friend

Rice farming

Hi everybody, I am a German farmer, who got the chance to get involved in starting a new business. A rice farm in West-Africa on a large-scale level. As we do not grow rice in Germany I had no idea of how to get the thing started- I got plenty of information from the internet but there are still some open questions- especially about the irrigation-system and layout, building levees and fertilizer and crop protection process- by ground rig or plane etc.

I would really appreciate if someone here could take some time to discuss this issues with me per Mail, Facebook, Chat and so on.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sheppie
Friend

Re: Rice farming

Hi, I am sure there will someone ready to help you here - no doubt about it in fact. But also did you consider registering on some Asian agricultural forums? People over there are awfully nice but also experienced with rice and eager to help. Just a thought and it never hurts to get opinions here and there Smiley Happy

I am not advertising or anything but speaking from a personal experience. I needed help with bamboo and that's exactly where I got the best feedback Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I can help you with wild rice production, but not normal rice. We raise a domesticated version of wild rice in the Willamette Valley if Oregon. If this website would allow me to download a photo from my phone, I'd show you a photo or two!
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If you ask a group of people what it takes to have a successful agriculture business you will get a great number of answers ---- from fertile soil to water,,,,,climate, etc etc.   But it takes financing first.  If you don't have seed and all the inputs, labor and equipment,,,, you will never see the first harvest.  

Who would invest at that level anywhere is Africa.  Is there one stable government with the infrastructure to market a crop in the area that has the water resources to do rice?  

Will you have to add the cost of a defense force to your cash flow?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I can help you regarding this, PM me your email ID or Facebook account so i can suggest your related information watever you need.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This guy needs your account numbers 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sw,
Though I do speak some German and buy and sell rice from both California and Oregon ...I don't think I need to get involved in Africa just yet. My first tall order of business is converting your farm to Organic! Ha ha...
Honored Advisor

A good sense of humor is always a good place to start.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Here is also many people available to suggest their opinion, i don't thing he need to move somewhere else. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos