cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Rolling soybeans

All,

A few years ago, I did a story on rolling soybeans. Essentially, this takes a big roller on soybeans when they are very young. Some farmers swear by it, but others fear it compacts the soil. 

Have any of you done this? Or know of anyone who has? Any results?

Best,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

Successful Farming 

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Rolling soybeans

I lived in South Dakota and farmers did it there after planting soybeans to flatten small stones down so they could harvest better or faster with the bean head. 

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

No one rolls beans around Iowa City that I know of.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I haven`t seen rolling emerged beans around here.  Actually farmers are moving towards rolling beans before they plant, that makes a beautiful seedbed that gets the crop emerged  within the same hour.

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

BA Deere,

Do you think it causes any compaction damage? I guess there's lots of heavy equipment that goes over fields these days, but I always wondered about one more thing going over fields. 

Gil 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

IMO no, it`s spread out pretty evenly.  Really dedicated no-tillers like to point at how rollers make the soil more susceptible to blowing and water erosion and that can be true if it gets dry after rolling, the residue is flattened out and the wind can take the soil or that fine powdery seedbed can be taken for a ride if you get a fast 3" rain.  But it shore looks purdy most of the time   🙂

0 Kudos