cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Side Dress Rig

Considering the purchase of a side dress rig, anyone ever use one on twin rows setup on 30" centers?  Wasn't sure how much crop damage would be done over the traditional single 30" rows.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Side Dress Rig

What are you sidedressing. I thought you gave up on corn.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I wouldn't say I've completely given up on it, I'm just not planning any until we are relieved of this drought. I've got a few acres of bottom ground that I think would be good in corn production on certain years. I'm also a milo producer, and when I get back into the cattle business I'll probably raise a few hundred acres of forage sorghum each year.
0 Kudos
KSKid501
Veteran Contributor

What rate do y'all plant forage sorghum at?  For some reason, 42k is sticking in my head as the only "forage" rate we did (we only had one guy want forage strips, most were grain).

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Can't remember for sure KsKid.  Since I've started raising forage sorghum I've always left it up to my custom guy and just paid him for his time and seed or swaped him out with labor.  I'll ask him the next time I see him and let you know.

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

8 lbs/acre in 30" rows here. I block holes in the drill and seed 8 rows in a pass with it. More tonnage to the acre than corn, but cattle like something mixed with it. I usually chop one cutting of alfalfa to make a layer of high protein in the pit. Using a mixer wagon to feed with and just load it accordingly.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Planting on 30" centers is something we did when we chopped it all for silage. Since I put it all up with the baler now I need to plant on narrower rows to keep the palletability (probably butchered the spelling) up. We used to mix it with (get a grip) kochia and crab grass that was hayed a few weeks following wheat harvest. When the kochia was at the correct stage it had protein amounts similar to alfalfa. If we wouldn't have had the protein tested I wouldn't have believed it. Now that I'm a no-tiller, not sure my blood pressure could handle seeing knee high weeds growing.
0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Kind of like people in other cultures and countries that raise lambsquarters as a crop. They say there's feed value to it but not gonna happen on my dirt!
0 Kudos