cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Sidedressing N on corn

All,

I've heard some presentations at winter meetings that seem kind of split on the agronomic advantages of side dressing N on corn. How many of you sidedness N? Does it pay for you to do that in better yields? Or is it for environmental reasons?

Best,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Sidedressing N on corn

This is last years results from N rate and timing trials - here on our farm

This is will be my 5th year working with Dr Nielsen and Dr. Camberato at Purdue .

Never have had a year - where split apps worked - so very small yield advantage in it - but never did pay for app charge .

Most asked question I get ? Why - when everybody else shows an increase ? My answer - Well I guess it's because were no selling anything Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

IMG_1501.JPG

This my applicator that I use for applying 28 - side dress .

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

I do have to add that this is what we did on our ground - this is the importance of doing your own trials - to see what works on your farm and not what they say works = painting with a broad bush .

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Thanks ECIN,

I had wondered what some trials said. I hate to put words into his mouth because I haven't checked, but seems like Emerson Nafziger at U of Illinois has said in that the advantage of side dressing isn't always there. Interesting stuff because data seems to counter a lot of recommendations out there. Maybe it is farm-specific, might have an advantage on some farms and not so on others.

Best,

Gil 

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

I used to apply NH3 but when I let my big tractor go I switched to liquid.  I apply 2/3 with the first herbicide pass and about 1/3 as side-dress when corn is about knee high.

So, it's partly just circumstances, but I kind of like a split application.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

I agree with what your saying and doing Jim - Here's the problem here - The faze -  split app has to many meanings - it's painting with a very broad bush - so to speak -

I put down around 30 units with the planter and then side dress the rest = that is a spilt app - right ?

What your doing is a spilt app - right ?

Applying 2 or 3 timing rates is also a split app - but it's more of a spoon feeding approach - this app is mis leading with a split app .

I totally agree with putting some on early - some good food for the plant to feed on - then come back at - say V-3 V4 and put on the rest - that is the timing that we have found to be most economically = best bang for your buck -- vs spoon feeding - I have had some increase in yield from spoon feeding - but -- not enough to cover app charge .

Last year - with the great help from Shelby County Co-op - they brought in there New Hagie with Y- Drops - we were looking at maybe a different method to applying N - maybe that is what we are missing -  - it did have a 6 bpa increase with the Y- drops  - - just enough to cover app charge and remember - this is tall corn and we just kill end rows ! Mine with the bar more so than with the Y- drops .

This year - we have 2 of my neighbor's joining in on the party - we all have different methods of farming - yet rates and timings will be the same = more data in one season

Gill - My fields are for the most part Brookston and Crosby soils - yes - the trials may be different on say a fox type soil = Important to do your own farm trials

Have a good fellers !   

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Gil, I have my corn side dressed for two reasons: logistics and sandy soils. I've seen great corn that only had a pre-plant N application, but I have also been burned on heavy rains. If a farmer has heavy, productive soils with good tile drainage, I doubt if side dressing corn pays for the extra trip across the field and dead corn on the headlands. 

0 Kudos