cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Small Milo Field

Milo.jpg

This is a small 7.5 acre field of milo that was knee high and was pounded by hail.  An additional .70" rain this morning followed by an afternoon of sunshine and wind.  Maybe, just maybe it'll grow out of it.  Although the picture doesn't do it justice, it is about 9" shorther than it was a week ago.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Small Milo Field

Totally depends of the growth stage, but there is a chance it will stool more and be better than before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I think I might get lucky this time.  I checked this afternoon and it is taller than it was before the hail.  Just 2 or 3 more days and it looks like it will be completely canopied.

Now getting the wheat harvested is a different story.  If I can cut tomorrow I might be able to avoid a spraying before hand, but if I were a betting man I'd say I'll need to spray and not harvest for an additional week.  Oh Joy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

SW, thought I would let you know this little field yielded 97B/A.  I didn't think that was to bad for being seeded at 1.25# per acre.  Just think what it would have yielded at the normal 3# - 4# seeding rate.  Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Don't be too sure.

Milo is a hard crop to push yield on by population.  There is that optimum point where heads just get smaller and more water goes to stalks and less to grain.

I am just figuring three fields that are irrigated. One planted at 2.5 lbs(35K seeds), had limited irrigation and fertilized for 100 bpa milo---- made 132.

Second field was fertilized for 200 bu. corn, but planted to milo after a wind event.  Unlimited water.  planted at 8 lb per acre(100K seeds) and made a disappointing 144.2.  

Third had very limited irrigation --got 3 inches in late august--- Fertilized for 80 b/a,  planted at 2 lb (25K seeds per acre) and made 115 bu per acre.

Naturally the 144 one was starting to fall down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Thats a whale of a good dry land yield Shaggy --- good to see some of that again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Thanks SW, overall I'm very pleased with yields this year.  Most acres went 110+ and now were trading at a 27 cent premium to corn locally.  Make that a double +.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

It looked from the picture that was planted in 30" rows. Does anyone drill in Milo? I don't know much about it being from up north. A lot of guys around here will drill sorghum for a cover crop, or to summer fowl ground for a potential wheat crop.

Seems like a drilled crop would canopy faster, but the same argument is made around here with beans.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

About 50-50 mix around here being planted vs drilled.  This field was in 30" rows.  We drilled our milo up until about 6 years ago when we started planting it.  Drilled milo will canopy faster but you can more accurately place seed with a planter.  I'm being told that the onset of air seeders is beginning to narrow that gap however.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

So kind of similar to beans as far as seed placement. I once heard someone call a drill a "controlled spill device". Makes sense.
0 Kudos