cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Smartbox insecticide

I was just wondering if and how many of you are using smartbox insecticide on your planters? Last spring I seen a few guys using it. We have had issues with nematodes, and Asiatic garden beetle grubs are starting to become a concern. What is the cost of installing the units and does the company install them? Would it just be easier and more affordable to buy Deere insecticide boxes. Do any of you use the planter box insecticide when you plant soybeans? I have a JD 7200 planter. Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Contributor

Re: Smartbox insecticide

We have been using smartbox since 2005 at that time they gave the system away for a 3 year comittment to buy x amount of product. That was on a kinze 3600 simalar in design as jd 7200. System has work well with only minor issues. Last year installed new smartboxs on jd 1770nt it ran about 1000 dollars per row, price increase due to demand rootworm pressure is high around here and gentics alone not enough. We have installed and calabrated both system ourselves, if you have shop and simple tools it is not hard to install yourself, the jd dealer will install don't know the cost probably shop rate per hour. Amvac also has techs around who will come to your shop and install. The best part of the system is the limit contact with the insectcide with the inclosed lock in place boxs.
0 Kudos
Advisor

I bought a new 1770 jd last year with the old mechanical boxes. the guy that came from amvac to calibrate said he mostly calibrated smartboxes. He told me that it was rare to find a system (over 2 years old) that did not have at least one meter not working. as stated above, the best thing is the lack of exposure. One of my neighbors , with smartboxes, said the chemicla was more $/acre that just bagged granular aztec or force. I can't confirm that, tho. good luck.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Sorry here for the DA question  - but being from Indiana and in my part of the world - not much bug pressure , are you guys useing the insecticide along with useing --- say triple stack or triple pro type corn ? Or is this for just the secondary type bugs ?

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
Contributor

The price of smartbox aztec in NCIA is about 20 to 25 $ an acre I have never used the mechanical boxs, but I have heard the product is cheaper in a bag.

ECIN, we are using aztec on all of our corn. The VT3 corn gentics have no affect on the rootworms here anymore, the herculex and smartstax genes that have herculex still have some control but using aztec to help also. We have also on a few fields used a plane to spray late season and kill adult beetles to control population next year. I don't know any product that can be applied in post emerge spraying like furdan could be, does any else have rootworm pressure or know of a product that can be sprayed post?
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

ECIN, pest like nematodes and Asiatic garden beetle grubs love sandy ground and traits don't kill them. These pest probably don't like the clay you guys south of me are farming. Being that the smartbox system cost over half the value of my planter I probably wont try it for the time being.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I use insecticide on my vt3 and any refuge corn I might have. For me , some of dekalbs older hybrids have been just as good (or better)as the high priced stuff. Only problem is the old dk rootworm trait is not very effective. I also like to have the option of insecticide in the future. I don't like using it, but like to have the option.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Thanks COC and blacky -  I have read about the problems - now -- with the traits - but just wondered if that was the problem and by your post- it is a bigger problem than I thought - I will check with rep to see about post appling for them .

I went to a class several years ago on traits and banding of insecticides - they had root samples there - in the banded -- which is only what ?? 8 inchs wide ? the roots where very good - then as the grew out of the band - the roots where pruned for from root worms - it appeared they were just sitting there - waiting for them to get out of the protected area .

Raining cats and dogs here this morning .

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've been using a liquid starter on corn for years. Biggest plus to this is drier corn coming out of the field, but grey slugs have been increasing pressure around here and the starter seems to help young plants grow faster than the slugs can eat.
Anyhow, adding Capture LFR insecticide to the liquid fert. Have been planting host corn on most of my bean acres with little or no problem. Using VT3 if I do any corn on corn or sod ground. Oh, and the capture is 6 bucks an acre.
0 Kudos