cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Some IN Pictures

IMG_1827.JPG

Putting on the second pass of 28 on our Purdue - Spilt app on fam trial - this pass was16.7 gpa

IMG_1830.JPG

2 four legged rats with hoofs ! There was a third one - but didn't get him in the picture - took these yesterday while - RE Spraying my corn - had to spray it all over - Halex GT failed bad - re spray was with Status + Powermax + Class Act AMS IMG_1826.JPG

King Corn ( on the left ) with our county extenion agent Scott Gabbard - getting ready for the second pass of 28 .

IMG_1824.JPG

Spraying fungicides on test plot = 60# psi with twin jet nozzles - they sure lay down a pretty pattern .

IMG_1810.JPG

Come on DAD and throw the dang ball !!!

IMG_1827.JPG
7 Replies
hardnox
Advisor

Re: Some IN Pictures

Nice dobies.

And corn too.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Thanks Nox's  

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Ken, how did your Halex fail, on grass or broadleaves or both?  I had some trouble with grass escapes, which surprised me, i didn`t think Pigeon Grass was a problem anymore...but it`s out there.  What I thought, I did the endrows first and that`s where the problem was (no broadleaves, just grass) is that the Touchdown didn`t stay mixed? The rest of the field was excellent control.

i have some low muck soils that have the worst species of weed that I`ve ever came in contact with....Burr Cucumber those weeds have come from the devil himself.  They germinate 3" 4" down, even after the corn canopies...they grow through pre`s and thrive in the shade!  They grow rapidly, vines that smother down a crop in big puddles if you don`t control them..they plug a combine or if not and you go through, you just scatter seed across the field.  All you can do is late season spray ..about anything kills them, just late season.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/weeds/wild-cucumber-and-bur-cucumber/  

Needless to say spraying Halex GT  on pop can sized corn kills what Cukes up, but next week a new batch comes up

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

BA - I never thoguht that the Halex got off to a good start - Thia was the first time I have every used it - it came highy recommonded from other farmers and the my chemical guy - which I do trust very much a shraight shooter - no BSing from him on stuff . 

First - my program - My burn down was PowerMax at 22 oz.s + Liquid AMS  - Then at V3-4 I appied the Halex at 3.6 pints + Liquid AMS + a Sticker - I never thought that the touchdown did a good job ! period ! I did not kill the barnyard grass or the Gaint rags - Then during side dressing - I noticed BOAT loads of C Burrs coming on + more young rags - Ken knew he was in trouble with this product - Then - as I posted - I resprayed all corn on Sat - got done around 7:30 - 8 pm - I used Power max at 32 oz.s + 2.5 oz.s of Status ( One of my all time favorites ! )  + Class Act liquid AMS - btw another of my all time favorites for AMS . 

As we know , the C-Burrs can grow on top of the ground - I think for them that with all the heavy rain early that it took the Halex down to deep and then they just grew threw it . After I sprayed the corn - the weather was pretty good - the corn jumped out of the ground and never looked back and niether did the weeds - lol

I talked to good friend  in North Central IL - he said a lot of HAlex was laid down and it was the same there = respray - then another good friend just west of Danville IL used it and loved it - perfect controll = go figure - lol

Now the fun part - I made a call to my guy and told him what was going on he wasn't happy - said he would be checking the others he had sprayed and made a call to the rep - which did call me - he asked the standard questions - like my program  or did  I use a burn down - then he said - that Halex is a bullet proof program - just don't ever have a problem with it - then after  I told him what I did , and what was cooming on he then said -------------------------------------------- Yep - I have been having several calls with the same problem !  Ken thought he just said 5 minutes ago it was bullit proof and NEVER had any problems with it - lol   Must be a pretty new guy to the field of chemicals : ))) 

BTW - We had some cucumbers 10 -12 years ago- yep - they came from hell !

Ken

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Ken, isn`t your corn a bit on the tall side for Status?  🙂   I used Status and really liked it, still have a 20 acre jug of granular around here some place, but they scared me with it about "don`t spray if you expect a big wind...some hybrids can`t handle it...don`t spray if over 85º or you`ll take nearby beans for a ride..even with the safeners..use drops if close to 36"  "  i`m a nervous nelly to begin with spraying. 

I have about the same recipe as you with the Halex, except I spiked it with 1/2lb or so with Atrazine.  I`m guessing what my problem was I put 900gal of water in the spray and went down the road and then at the farm mixed enough for 60 acres...I didn`t fill it halfway to start mixing, not wanting to go down the road "fully loaded" ..well maybe it didn`t get throughly mixed or maybe some separation occured, but it was the first time I had any complaints of it. 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Lumax EZ is also a big failure on our farm this year on milo ground.  Primarily the broadleaves.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

BA - 10 - 12 years ago - I was leastedout to a co-op - I was helping them catch up on corn - Had to do a big field over in Rush county - It was HOT and Humid - I pulled in late in the day - field was covered with rags , I was filling out paper work while they were pumping me up - Never had been here before so I pulled out the field map - Dang it ! Beans on the East side - I made a call to the manager and told him - I could see that they were just coming up good - He said Spray it ! Well I could see that I would be getting a visit from the State Chemist Office from smoking this guys field of beans + I kew the guy pretty well to boot -

I have triple nozzle bodies on my Hag so made the call to spin around to a set that would drop my pressure and the drops would be bigger - trying to controll any drift -  The tender truck also had a windbreak on it Or as I call it -- heavy water , so I added it a little heavier rate of that - Pulled out right at dark , The rags , where really sick already - I made a call to the farmer on the way home and told him what I sprayed and to keep a good eye on them - I never heard from him - so I seen him 10 days later and asked about his beans - he said they were perfect ! no drift at all and was impressed with the status - maybe this was just dumb luck - but after that day - I just don't worry about spraying it . Now on the other hand - Clarity is a whole different story - that crap will move - big time !

As with any chemicals - you just need to stay up with conditions as the day go's along and most likely - you'll be ok . I HOPE - : )))

Ken

0 Kudos