cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4KSU
Frequent Contributor

Soybean Question

Anyone have any ideas why my soybeans are showing stress on the top leaves. We have had decent moisture (3 inches over the last 2 weeks). They were planted on May 24. They are cupped like they have herbicide damage but a few fields have this and a few don't and were all sprayed once postemerge on the same day. They are planted in 10 in rows with air drill. The leaves are noticeably smaller than on most fields in the area. They are flowering a bunch currently. They were sprayed in the morning not in the middle of high heat. They are all same variety with the same pre-emergent put down also on the same day. I used an adjuvant called Citron. I have been told by another farmer in the past that it wasn't very good on beans but I used it last year with no problems. I put down 23 oz/ac Roundup PowerMax, nothing else. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Soybean Question

Could it be "soybean mosaic virus"?  http://www.btny.purdue.edu/extension/pathology/cropdiseases/soybean/Soybean.html   Towards the bottom of the page.

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

No, we have the same problem currently. It's cause they are producing hormones they don't have the capacity to use. Not sure if it's good or bad. Not likely your herb
0 Kudos
4KSU
Frequent Contributor

Farmerguy 89, are any other beans in your area doing this or just yours? In my area, I haven't seen anyone elses beans doing this. No evidence is consistent enough  from one field to the other on mine to make sense of it though. What causes this hormone problem and is there a technical term for it? Thanks

0 Kudos
4KSU
Frequent Contributor

BA Deere, I checked out the sight and looked at the mosaic virus. My beans don't look as bad as those in the picture but that doesn't mean it can't have a lighter case of this. I will read into it more. Thanks

0 Kudos