cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbneb
Contributor

Soybean emergence issues

This year my bean emergence was less than impressive in my mind. I am a notill guy and would like to stay that way. However with the corn yields that we are getting, it makes for issues the next spring. I have a split row 15 inch planter, no row cleaners. Thinking about going to 20 inch simply to run row cleaners to see if that would help. Without going to tillage not sure where else to go. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue and if you have found any remedies?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Soybean emergence issues

If you raise big corn yields, maybe you`ll have to consider strip til with 20" rows.   I know a guy that strip tils and occasionally plugs the strip til machine with stalks and that`s 20" rows.  But it`s a way to incorporate the fertilizer and have a warmed up berm in the spring...fwiw, he has the best crops in the neighborhood this year.

0 Kudos
jbneb
Contributor

Re: Soybean emergence issues

I have actually pondered strip till but have stayed away bc of our hills. I'd say a third of my farm it would probably work but the rest seems a little too steep. Hate to own all the strip equipment for that little use.
0 Kudos