cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Soybean height-yield correlation

All,

I've had this discussion before, but was wondering this: does soybean height correlate with yield? Seems opinions are split on this one, just interested in your perspective.

Best,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

Successful Farming 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Soybean height-yield correlation

JMO but tall beans are mostly foliage and not as many pods.  Trouble is tall beans lodge making difficult to combine, spraying aphids is tougher to in tall beans...without a Hagie  🙂 

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

The best looking beans I have ever raised only made 48 bpa - boy they were tall stood till tine to cut and then --- I can't use the words I used tring to get them in

Ugliest beans - and I do mean UGLY !!! AND right north of the shed - where I got to look at them a million times a day made 66 - where them beans come from - I will never know !

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

With so many variables in play given different varieties, soil types and weather

it is always interesting to do pod counts and correlate them to final yields.

Best beans we've had in our area of SCMN are usually a maturity of 1.8 to 2.0

and about 36" to 40" tall.  Taller and it seems too much energy goes to the plant.

Shorter and not as many pods.  Maybe a few more beans/pod but that doesn't make

up for reduced pod count.

Larger plants also don't seem to dry down as well with the pods being dry while

the stems are still green.  Pods shatter in the head even with reel raised and slowed down.

The thicker/green stems coupled with the extra plant material are harder on the sickle

and make the combine growl.  Not to mention the operator!!Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

I don't' know about all this.  What about bush beans as opposed to upright stems?  Do the bush beans have more pods?  Do they really shade the row faster?  Do they lodge as badly?  Are bush beans always shorter?

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

All GREAT questions Jim - Shaun Casteel from Purdue will be down to the farm tomorrow - I will ask them questions and reply what he said .

0 Kudos