cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Soybean inoculation

I would just like a little advice on inoculating soybean seed. I have a JD 7200 vacuum planter and I was wondering if any of you had any problems using dry inoculate in a planter like mine? I have never used inoculate, my soybean yields have always been good for this area but Im always looking for advice to improve yield. I would have fungicide applied to the seed as well but I do light tillage to warm the soil ahead of planting and the application of fungicide and inoculate by the elevator will run around $12 an a bag. Have any of you had problems with inoculate making seed stick? Most studies I have read seem to support inoculate more than fungicide in sandier soil types like mine. Im just trying to get the most out of my money, I already paid around $50 a bag for the seed, any advice is always appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Advisor

Re: Soybean inoculation

Inoculant applied by the bagger will dry on the seed, and have very little dust. It's those old peat inoculants..and some of the liquid ones that you apply as they come out of the seed wagon that can bridge in grain drills. The guys from OSU always recommend it..because they say even if it doesn't net more...it will pretty much always pay for itself...especially with 13 dollar soybeans. All my seed has inoculant....except for some beans that I buy for double cropping.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Well Pup I probably should just pony up and pay the elevator to inoculate and put some fungicide on the beans, it just seems soo much more expensive these days to plant beans than just a few years ago.

0 Kudos
Advisor

There's one thing you might remember. The inoculant is supposed to be good for about 30-40 days on the seed. After that..it's effectiveness supposedly drops off. You really don't want to get the seed "warm". Keeping the wagon in a shaded barn..or keeping a tarp across it is always a good idea.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for the advice.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

When using moist inoculates I've always added some graphite and never had any problems. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I have a Deere 7240 vacuum planter.  I buy the white talc powder from Deere and have had no problems.  Don't use as much as they suggest though as it will build up in the seed boxes.  Also I spray graphite on the seed discs when putting the seed units back together before planting.  At a planter clinic at the dealer they recommended taking the pressure off the seals by unlatching the rubber bungee fastener that holds the seed mechanism together.  It helps the seals last longer by not being compressed year round.  I do this when finished planting and inspect everything while it's on my mind.  Since the planter is the most important tool it's nice knowing all winter that it is ready to go and you won't have any surprises that might be awaiting you come planting time.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for the advice. I will try out that spray on graphite.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Yes I forgot to say what kind.  I use the spray on stuff from Deere.  Only spray where the seals rub the disc.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

There are a few good choices but Graph Ex by ABM in Van Wert Ohio would be as good as any.  Easy to use, good results.

0 Kudos