cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Soybean seed treatments?

I ran into a seed dealer a couple of days ago that goes to church with my wife's family. We got to talking about soybean seed treatments, and he mentioned it was better to have the company treat the beans rather than the elevator. I bought soybean seed off the local elevator this past fall and planned on picking it up there and having it treated there as well. The dealer said sometimes the germination can be effected by treatments, and going forward I should get the beans treated by the seed company rather than the local elevator. Is there any truth to this? What experiences have you had? I've never tried seed treatments in beans but figured I would give it a shot this year. I was also wondering if I would need to add talc to the seed like I do corn since the beans have treatment on them? Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: Soybean seed treatments?

I'm not sure I understand. Unless your elevator is buying bulk seed from a seed producer....and then treating it for those who want treatment..and selling it without to those who don't. The elevator evidently doesn't produce seed themselves..so this seems like the likely scenario. As far as toxicity...I would suggest..if the elevator has been doing seed treatment for some time...their equipment isn't likely to be much different than the seed producer...and they sure as heck can't afford to over apply treatment at the cost they're quoting you. I wouldn't be too concerned about the treatment process hurting germination. The handling will probably do as much to damage germination as anything else. A couple of years ago..we had soybeans here in NW Ohio that simply could not handle much abuse at all...and running them through a cup auger would even split them. That's where I would worry about germination problems first. I think if you're trying to plant soybeans as early as possible...that you will really find fungicides beneficial. I haven't planted any un-treated soybeans in a long time unless it's for some double crop beans. In the last few years...our seed company has been quoting their soybean price with treatment...and innoculant together. One reason is additional revenue for them...and the other is they can justify the cost with the increased yield. I wouldn't worry about the elevator applying fungicide to the beans...but I would make sure they are using a product that has Apron in it....that early phytophthra protection is definately worth it.

As far as talc in your planter...I haven't ever used treated seed in a feed cup or brush meter of a Deere planter...but I don't think it would make much difference. You don't really get singulation with those meters...so talc seems like it might not be necessary. I know the only time I've ever had any trouble with seed in my 750 drill...is when I was spraying on innoculant in the seed box..and it would bridge over the runs at times.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Pup thanks for the advice. The elevator I go through is also a Pioneer dealer and I would imagine they know what they are doing when it comes to treating beans. The seed dealer I talked to just felt I would be less likely to see germination problems if Pioneer did the treatment as opposed to the elevator. Its cheaper if the elevator does the treatment so I will probably just have them do it. I have a John Deere vacuum planter and was just curious if anybody had any problems with the treated seed sticking.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I'm not even sure whether Pioneer treats seed. At one time I believe it was because they didn't want the expense of warehousing and inventory control until they could sell them. If they're not treated..they can tell the dealer to just haul them to the elevator as regular beans. They could also sell more product..because you had to plant them thicker to get the same stand..LOL

Tags (1)
0 Kudos