cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soybeans & Sodd

Contemplating burning down a hundred acres of grass sod and planting soybeans. The land has been in sod for at least 8 years. Thinking of a round upburn down and then no tilling the bean in a few weeks later. Not sure if the bean will have enough vigor to root well. Would anyone have expirience doing this or have heard of it doing well?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mvp farms
Veteran Contributor

Re: Soybeans & Sodd

I've done this twice on CRP on the same field.  First year got the beans planted, turned miserably wet and wasn't able to get the RU on so the grass got too good of a start.  Second year got em seeded, sprayed early and they were actually my best beans.  This is in NW MN and we seeded with a JD 1890.

0 Kudos

Where you planting into a tilled field then? Wondering what anyone's thoughts would be on burning it down and then planting into it soon after the spray residual. Not sure if the soybeans would be vigorous to perform well.

0 Kudos
mvp farms
Veteran Contributor

No we were planting into untilled sod.  First year it had been burned off (by fire)

0 Kudos

If it were me...I'd spray that sod with 2 quarts of 4 lb. acid equivalent glyphosate...lots of extra surfactant..and add at least a pint of 2,4-D LV4 to it. Then I'd wait 2.5 weeks..plant those beans...and spray it again. Typically if you're going to no-till into CRP...you want to get the sod killed in the fall, so it will decompose some over the winter.

0 Kudos

I forgot about your biggest problem...You're going to have to innoculate those beans pretty well, because the level of rhizobia in the soil can't be too high after all those years of CRP.

0 Kudos

Sounds like this could work well. That organic matter should be plenty rich to grow a good crop. Are you in the Red River Valley? Have been in Crookston for a little while studying agronomy. Grain cropping is new to me since I come from a dairy region. Thanks for the pointers. That JD 1890 must be a notill air seeder.

0 Kudos

Sounds like an attack plan. Yea it would have been better to turn that sod last fall, but convincing the old man is half the battle. A roundup bean system must be what you are thinking with that chemistry. Is the part of that a residual. My Ag chemicals class is this fall so not so savey yet.

0 Kudos

Your Glyphosate (Roundup) isn't a residual herbicide..it is just the only chance you have for getting that grass dead. The 2,4-D on the other hand..does have a slight bit of residual...and you don't want to apply it within 7 days of planting the soybeans or after they emerge. If you want to add a residual to the post-emerge application of glyphosate...just add something cheap that can be applied early, and controls whatever you're afraid of coming along later. There are a lot of products that can be applied at early post. Prowl H20 comes to mind..along with Dual..or Outlook come to mind also....

0 Kudos