cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CleanerGleaner
Contributor

Spray tip (nozzle) question for the sprayer guys

I bought a  new Guardian sprayer with front boom and it came with turbo twinjet tips. I have been using AI teejet since they came out and did not realize they had made improvements in these for drift loss  and are listed as very good for drift management. First I should state most of the chemicals I use in My (non gmo Soys) are contact and not systemic. After talking to teejet engineers about the problems I was having with coverage with my contact sprays they suggest I go away from the AI tips to the turbo twinjets for all my contact sprays due to the improved coverage. Any one have experience with these tips?

P.S. I do very little custom spraying and because of my lower acreage can avoid windy times etc.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Spray tip (nozzle) question for the sprayer guys

CG - The Guardian is a NICE looking machine !  I have 4 set's of the Twin jet's - Oh yes - they do a great job in coverage ! Yet , I just use them for post work with insecticides and fungicides . Remember that you are splitting the volume between 2 jets - rather than just one with the AI's . 

This spring - we had a little screw up - just for few rounds - lol  I run two sets of AI's for burn down and post - depends on wind and what I'm doing - I have a set of reds and browns loaded , along with a set of twin jets - they are also red - The hired guy came over as I was going from brown to red and asked which ones I was going to - I told J to the reds - NOT thinking about the twins  were also red too - I have the right side + the middle sections already done - He started on the outside of the left side - As I started to do the perimeter - I said damit Ken - the wind must have picked up - as the left side was REALLY drifting - I looked at the pressure gauge - everything - I have never seen it drifting like this with my AI's - So I stopped and checked them out - I missed it at first - Then I got to the the twins - Well I'll be dang ! J did not know the difference - He has never worked with the sprayer - other than tender it - NO set up - he did as I said - put the red ones in .

As I said - check and most will recommond the twins for insecticides and fung. - because of coverage !  They would not work for me as a burn down thought .

I have run the AI's for many , many years - you just have to match speed and pressure to come up with the noozle you need to use and droplet size - I feel that coverage is great with the AI's - one problem is you may not be running enought pressure in your post work - Or that the droplet size is just to big to get the results that you are wanting , I know it costs a lot of money to to load up a new set , mine takes 73 - yet it's money well spent to get the job done that you want -

If you do try them for your post work - I would add some no drift in the load - that stuff really helps - but then again - that adds to the cost .

ken

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Spray tip (nozzle) question for the sprayer guys

totally agree with ken....

We have more wind to fight than he does ---- assuming somewhat.

The twin turbos drift too much for us but great for insecticide where you like a little drift..... 

AND...... Ken is right on on pressure.... It is the opposite of what we are told in the old "drift lectures" (keep the pressure down)

If the wind is up I will back off the pressure to finish something assuming my effectiveness will suffer a little.  But with air-induction nozzles(I use greenleaf), run more pressure,  I run a lot of 5 gpa loads and some 6 gpa---- I try to manitain 75 lbs on the booms if i can even though the opperation range may be 45-90.  Staying a little higher will give you more consistant droplet size and pattern.  if the day heats up and time is running out I will slow a little to bring it down to 50-60 lb pressure to finish up the session...(increasing the droplet size slightly for drift control.

A I's are a lifesaver for us because we have enough wind that you have to spray in it some.  We are always playing with the limits.  sw ks

0 Kudos