cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foxy farmer
Frequent Contributor

Sprayed 28 n on 8 inch corn

I use an old 2500 gallon milk truck for my water truck, works great except no visibility. I forgot I had some leftover32%n in it . I added water to the tank and sprayed 10 gallon / acre with roundup tonight the corn is 8 inches talk. From my calculations the mixture was 2 gallons of 32/ acre with 8 gallons of water. How bad will I burn the corn, it shouldn't kill it as it was diluted. Hope we get a good dew tonight
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: Sprayed 28 n on 8 inch corn

Well, it's Sunday, did the corn get burned as bad as you expected???

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

You may have just stumbled on a big secret of dealing with weed resistance. I use 150 gallon of 28 (as a water conditioner to lower ph) in my 750 gallon sprayer with glysophate. I apply 15 gallon on lite weeds and 20 on heavy. Only burns when it was to hot and dry to be spraying anyway. This part is totally unscientific but it also seems to work as a foliar as well. I haven't done any check strips, but fields without 28 in my post mix don't seem to yield quite as good.
0 Kudos
foxy farmer
Frequent Contributor

One never knows what is possible without mistakes. I kept waiting for the burn to show, all I could find was some on the leaf tips. I sprayed June 7th. We got .70 rain June 11th. This field now is the darkest green corn I have. It is interesting. I have dribbled nitrogen between the rows at tasseling time before. Never seen a yield gain. Last year I dribbled 10 gallons on 15 acres to use up what I had left around here. The hybrid was dk 6122 we did a yield check in the fall the corn was next to each other as I flagged the rows I putbit on. The 10 gallons dribbled yielded 239.and was 1.3 wetter, where I didn't dribble was 217. The yield monitor was fairly consistent in holding that difference. And the map shows exactly where I dribbled. But we had rain every week in n.e Iowa last growing season. Everything has to be right in the growing season, and we haven't got that far yet with technology to know what the season is going,to endure.it is interesting though. I am considering going out and adding one gallon of 32 to 9 gallons of water to the same field but leave a check strip, and run a check strip in another adding the 1 gallon in 9 gallons of water. I had sprayed this field late evening. I believe that helped as well.
0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Around here, it seems the best yields are coming from the people who dribble some fertilizer between the rows after the corn is up, like you did (I tried it last year, and got a nice yield bump) but the interesting ones, are the guys who are injecting 28% or 32% into the center pivots.  As the pivot moves, and irrigates the crop, it also fertilizes it.  There are all kinds of requirements for check valves, and auto shut-offs, by Nebraska DEQ, so don't worry about contamination.
Anyway, the guys doing it say they get equal yields to the side-dressing, and don't have to drive a tractor, just bring a new tank to the pivot point every now and again.  The only comment they make, is to be sure not to put too much N on at a time, or it will burn the leaves.

0 Kudos