cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Standing corn better than binned corn

Iowa State released a paper that says that overall, corn that remained standing in the field over winter fared better than corn in bins.  Here's the reference.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/CropNews/2010/0603robertsonhurburgh.htm

"Grain that remained in the field actually fared better than grain stored in bins over the winter. Although severity of Cladosporium ear rot was high, most growers reported that “the mold blew off in the combine” and grain quality was good. "

This is in line with local reports from farmers who had corn out all winter.  They reported moisture below what I was getting when I combined corn in December.  Who knows - maybe we'll all let the corn stand till it thaws next year.  Smiley Very Happy

Also, I just got back from delivering a bin clean out wagon load of corn to the local elevator and the unloader there said he saw the same thing about quality and could hardly believe the over-wintered corn was better than the binned corn.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor

Re: Standing corn better than binned corn

We had much better quality by leaving it in the field over winter. Much better test weights and moisture. Didn't need to run anything through a dryer. Stand was great after a harse winter, but can't say that about all the fields. Some varieties went down but others stood stout all winter. That might be another thing to ask reps is how it might fair over harsh winters.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

This is really interesting. So, here's a question: Does this seriously have you reconsidering your grain storage plans for next year? If these new varieties are standing up after a winter like we had this last year -- especially considering the cost to store that grain in a bin all winter -- would you consider this as a part of your plan and not just an alternative in the absence of other options, like last fall?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I will not believe this is a serious question.

Put it under agri - laugh.

0 Kudos
Contributor

No, leaving corn stand till spring will not become something we intend to do.  We finished our corn harvest on April 2 this year, corn was down to 14-15% and the quality was much better than what we harvested and dried last fall but there is just too much risk involved leaving a crop stand over winter plus most of us need income from the crop by the end of the year.  The other big problem is we were finishing up harvest when we should have been getting the corn planter ready and doing spring field work, finishing harvest in the spring pushed all of our spring work back by at least a week.

Frequent Contributor

Insurance runs out

Crop is not insured for the four months or so the crop is in the field.  Also I doubt you could get prevented planting if the new crop had to wait for a spring harvest.  One big wind could take down any crop.  This, if serious, is the most laughable naive idea I have ever heard on here.  It beats Greg grazing hogs on mulberries and hogging down corn, 10 or so years ago.