cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allanpotocki2
Friend

Stinging Nettle Fertilizer - need some help!

Whats growing on everyone! First time poster here so forgive me if I make any mistakes/post on the wrong forum.

So yesterday I went out with some friends and picked a bunch of nettles, I myself collected about 2kg worth (non dry) and chopped it up pretty good. I was only able to add about 10 litres of water as I am getting a 5 gallon bucket from my friend in the next day or two.

What I was wondering - 

1. Is the nettle fertilizer too potent at the moment, If so how much water do I want to soak 2kg of nettle?

2. Can I use a little bit of it now diluted with water 1:10, or do I have to wait for it to fully ferment 2 weeks? I wanted to water some of my cucumber/tomato plants ive been raising just to see how they would do.

3.How long does the solution once fermented keep for? If I kept it in the fridge would it last longer?

4 Once the solution is done, how often should I water my plants with it? Once every week, two, or three?

Off to go tend to some plants, will be back later today/tomorrow to check up on the post!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Stinging Nettle Fertilizer - need some help!

There are  a lot of recepies  on the net, here`s one

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/nettle/nettle-as-fertilizer.htm  

Nettle garden fertilizer is also referred to as stinging nettle manure, both because of its use as a food source for plants and also possibly in reference to its smell as it brews. There is a quick method for making nettle fertilizer and a long range method. Either method requires nettles, obviously which can either be picked in the spring or purchased at a health food store. Be sure to wear protective clothing and gloves if picking your own nettles and avoid picking near a road or other area where they may have been sprayed with chemicals.

Quick method: For the quick method, steep 1 ounce of nettles in 1 cup of boiling water for 20 minutes to an hour, then strain the leaves and stems out and toss in the compost bin. Dilute the fertilizer 1:10 and it’s ready for use. This quick method will give a subtler result than the following method.

Long range method: You can also make nettle garden fertilizer by filling a large jar or bucket with the leaves and stems, bruising the foliage first. Weight down the nettles with a brick, paving stone, or whatever you have laying around and then cover with water. Only fill three-quarters of the bucket with water to allow room for the foam that will be created during the brewing process.

Use non-chlorinated water, possibly from a rain barrel, and set the bucket in a semi-sunny area, preferably away from the house since the process will likely be a tad smelly. Leave the mix for one to three weeks to ferment, stirring every couple of days until it stops bubbling.

0 Kudos