cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swedish curiousity in the U.S weather

I´m a Swedish farmer and advisor and I´m interested in some "reality-based" info on the weather in the U.S rather than only USDA-reports etc. Would be grateful to exchange some information (perhaps I would benefit more of the US info than on the contrary:-) on the weather from different places and how your crops are doing.

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Greetings from Sweden 🙂

// Frida Olsson

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Re: Swedish curiousity in the U.S weather

Frida,

Well, I don't know  if you 'll get any reality based weather info from farmers.  We all t hink our weather is better or worse than the other guy's.  

The major issue with getting info from various farmers is how to put it in a big picture that is realistic.  Farmers also see weather "out their back window" and assume what they see is what is down the road.

The U.S. weatyher service is very good at reporting and forecasting weather.  How that applies to projecting crop production is another story.  Nobody has that figured out yet.

Another problem with farmers is they tend to extrapolate what is going on today to the indefinite future.  So, if it's a little dry they'll complain they are going to have a drought.  If it's a little wet we'd better all build an ark.  There is little perspective.  We're all guilty of this.

Probably, you'll find more weather complaining on the Marketing Talk forum part of this site than wyou will here on Crop Talk, because everyone wants to treat weather as a marketing factor.   Since weather is the driver of futures prices, maybe that is right. 

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Frida,

Jim has some great points. Let's take for instance yesterday. I was in Iowa where corn was being planted under sunny skies. And then I wake up this morning to pictures that have frost damage of Illinois corn that is out of the ground. And yet, corn is growing just fine the Deep South of Louisiana. And now we hear of below normal temps in the Southeast. Furthermore, rain is headed for the Midwestern states for the next few days.

As you can see, it really depends on where you are talking about. Thus, the 'out my window' philosophy.

Mike

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Frida, maybe you could take a map, and put the results on it, on people's conditions, and where they are at, and get a 'big picture' of the weather.

I'll start:
Eastern Custer County, Nebraska (Custer is the big county just West of dead center of Nebraska)

We have been abnormally warm and dry for most of march, and the first week or so of April.  Now, we are at average to below average temperatures (the last day in March was 89 degrees F, yesterday, it struggled to get over 55 for the high).  We had frost 3 or the last 4 mornings, with a low on Tuesday of 25*F.

It has been dry, with only a half inch of rain from march 1st through April 11.  However, it started raining mid-morning today, and has been raining slow and steady for the last 2 hours.

Soil temperature is hovering right at or above 50 degrees, which has me nervous about any planted corn, as it might be warm enough to sprout in some areas of the field, but not others, making for very uneven emergence.  I have seen early planted corn be the best corn in the neighborhood on some years, and the worst on others.  It all depends on what the weather does from here on out.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I'd like to see a map where we could post our weather if we want to.  Not sure how it would work;

0 Kudos