cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Teff Grass

Has anyone ever used teff as a forage crop?  I was wondering how it would work in a post wheat harvest cover crop blend mixed with tillage radish and forage peas.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Teff Grass

I have raised it in arizona for the last two years for hay. it is a high quality grass that should work well with cattle. if you have good fertility left over it will grow alot of forage it grows like johnson grass fast . some guys around the farm in oklahoma have raised it and really like it for the cattle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Thanks brokefarmer, I'll be feeding it to cattle.  I need to do some more research on it.  Will it winterkill or will I need to chemically kill it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

frost and it is done. mine has sampled at 64 tdn 36 ndf and 10 to 21 crude protein. are you going to notill into the wheat stuble?

check producers choice seed for information. i have planted from 8 to 12 pounds of seed per acre for irrigated ground. the seed is very small so i would suggest getting the coted seed. have to have a very firm seed bed to get the best stand.

i have a phone number for dr don miller he is the one that developed tiffany teff if you want it i will give it to you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Teff, the warm-season grass that isgained popularity the past several years as a good horse hay, is also being fed to dairy cows!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Yes, I am planning on no-tilling directly into wheat stubble.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

brokefarmer, these days hay is really a great option for cattle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Shagg,
Smith Seed in Halsey Oregon has coated teff seed. We have both Desi and Tiffany in our warehouse. Don't drill it too deep or it won't come up. It is very small seed. Ideally you would plant at 1/4 inch deep and make moisture contact, not always possible though. Incidentally, teff is an East African word meaning "lost". Drop it and it is lost....
0 Kudos