cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Temperatures and small corn

Two weeks ago we were subject to freezing temperatures, tomorrow we are forecasted for mid 90's with 20-30MPH winds. Will these higher temps have an affect on young corn plants? All my crop has emerged and is anywhere from 1" to 4" tall. New to this corn thing, just wondering how early heat effects the smaller plants.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Temperatures and small corn

Yes it will -- It will Explode !!!!!!!!!!!!!   You may need to get some earplugs so you can sleep at night !  lol  It 's a good thing -- then just keep adding rain !

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I knew without reading it was going to be a wise crack. Earplugs I've got, heat is on the way and rain is on order. Need a few days of dry and calm to spray milo herbicide. I can usually get one load a day sprayed when I'm working off the farm. I'll try to get milo planting under way next Wednesday.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Shag -- that was not a wise crack !   Here in IN we have always said that -- but when corn is like 8 or 10 inchs and put on sidedress N and  then catch a good rain !   I thiink we need to send you out a Rookie strip --- for growing  corn  -- to put on your tractor --- lmao --- know thats a wise crack -- lol

0 Kudos
Advisor

If it was very young you need not worry bout frost. But yu have lost some growing time, not much
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Frost wasn't an issue, I'm more worried about heat than cold. Ground should be in the mid 60's by weeks end. ECIN says more is good so I'm holding him personally responsible if anything bad happens. LOL
0 Kudos
Advisor

Ya this early you'll be fine as long as you don't wilt. Just hope that its not anywhere near 90f during pollination. As I understand it, corn likes 28 c best and deals w 90f by using soil moisture. Keep the heat on for a while?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

He worded it pretty well---------------- It is the best part of corn over milo.  Corn will take a beating at startup.

On the hot days there will be a 30 second pause for "giving thanks".  Then give you steroid growth.

I once had 4 inches of sleet cover up a field for a day,------ froze off the three leaves above ground, after some sun a new leaf poked out and in 4 weeks caught the other fields.

0 Kudos