cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soil-life
Contributor

The Projected Potential for record yields this fall of 2012

(  With adequate moisture in July and August )

it looks Like many farms across the corn belt could be set up for record or ( near ) record Yields.

In my opinion.

After reviewing reports and Pictures from growers in several states and personally scouting fields the past Two weeks.

We think there is great Potential for this falls harvest.    For Many growers.  In specific geographical areas.  In many states

Facts that will determine the opportunity for record or near record Yields.

1.   Planting date. 

2.   Compaction issues.  Or lack of compaction.  Is a HUGE factor this year.

3.  Tile and or natural drainage. Soil types.   With 3 to 4 weeks of no rainfall, there are some outstanding visual references as to why. Regardless of a dry or wet season. Time frame during the growing season. That adequate soil percolation is so critical.

To maximum efficient crop production.

4.   Fertility.    On a year such as this with stressful conditions. Adequate and well managed Fertility is certainly showing 

an advantage of overcoming some stress issues.

5. Well managed soil Health and soil Nitrogen  is quite obvious to the casual observer at this stage of the growing season

in many areas and on many farms across the corn belt.

From my observations and in my opinion.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: The Projected Potential for record yields this fall of 2012

We already lost our chance for record yields.  The weather was too erratic immediately after planting, for proper emergence.  While we can still have 'very good' yields, one factor is already missing, and that will be ear count.  There are simply too many late, missing, or stunted plants to have that perfect stand of perfect ears.  Granted, we never have a 'perfect' stand, but this year, it looks a little more 'ragged' than usual, and its not just my fields, but most of them.  From a distance, they look good, but when you walk through them, you see what looks like lots of 'skips'.  Where we are, is not a big corn growing area, in the grand scheme of things, so Statewide, we won't have hardly any effect on overall yields, but for me, at least, I'm just hoping for 'good' or 'very good', rather than 'record'.

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

As far as ECB corn yield potential to date I agree. But those who miss this next rain event will start to irrevocably lose some potential.

Also, don't forget the "lesson" of the much discussed (here) '05 or '06 (can't remember which) mini-drought in Illinois. If corn goes in early under dry conditions and gets some roots under it, it can take a lot more stress than what you'd imagine- prticularly if it gets even a whiff of relief at nick.

I think Bob Nielsen at Purdue is the best extension corn agronomist around- was looking to find his recent comments approximately to that effect but couldn't locate.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

To dry at planting. Way to wet just after planting. Way to dry now. Same symptoms Nebraska. No record for me either.
0 Kudos
soil-life
Contributor

Reports of Zero to 3 inches of rain across Ohio and Indiana has disappointed some and encouraged Others.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

...on top of that, the emergence was pretty ragged in Ohio from what I've seen, and you already had the tops off the potential yields before it got dry.

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

The bloom is off the rose in SE Iowa.  The question is what will it be?  I think it will be quite variable, with some fields doing "as good as ever" and some will have the kinds of yields you want to skip over in the coffee shop.

0 Kudos
soil-life
Contributor

Re: Crop tour for N.W. Ohio today

Ee Winkle will visit and help host a field tour of several farming methods, Practices North of Columbus Ohio.

From the Delaware Ohio area to Marion and Bucyrus. Ashland and back.

Root digs and scouting practices will be discussed.

Along with soil and tissue sampling methods used by some.

For pictures and details feel free to Email me.

John

0 Kudos
soil-life
Contributor

Re: Crop tour for N.W. Ohio today

The brutal heat wave has broken and it is time to evaluate the crop situation moving foreword.

most of the corn we are looking at is pollinating at this time. so a week of cooler weather will be very good.

about 10% of the fields in a 4 to 6 county area are toast and will not go to harvest.

40% of the corn may be set for very good to excellent yields in some areas.

North of Sparta Ohio to the Ashland area has been very blessed with adequate rainfall right along.

the remanding 50 % will be average at the most. the weather in August will tell the tale and determine how 90% of this corn will yield.

0 Kudos