cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Video of us Shelling off N Plot

Shelled off the N plot for Purdue on 10/18 - Bob had his drone out flying and made a small video of us shelling - the aerial view is pretty cool ! The grain tank filling is cool to - never seen it from that angel

https://twitter.com/PurdueCornGuy

7 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Video of us Shelling off N Plot

How come your not in the picture? Camera break?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Nice job ECIN = Good thing you don't have a 12 row head.

You'd have take a shoe off to count the rows to be skipped!! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Does the drone help add yield?  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Quick answer Jim -- No ! Great question though !

I will say that Bob flew the field ? 6 or 7 times over the summer - It was a great way to look at the field and observe if there appeared to be an difference's in treatmeats or method of treatment - At the last - there may have been one that stood out some - I hope that we can try a lay over of the flights to the yields and see what that shows . The thing  I liked about the drone was we had control of flight times - as far as cloudy days - we always flew at near the same time of day - this was to control any shadows on the rows . Airscout flys and takes there pic's around 10,000 feet - The drone was flown at 400 feet - I did request on the last pass of flying if they could do different altitudes to see what that would show - I have not seen them pic.s yet - I really do think that in the near future - that drones could help on yield - there is just some much info -- What is it telling us ??? I will bet that , that will be figured out - sooner than latter .

Ken     

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Had to go check dryer - I wanted to add a few more things here Jim - asked about if it helped yields - so here are a few of my observations that will be put in place for next year - anyway I think : ))1. You can say -- fly out over your fields and hover around 5 - 10 feet when corn or beans are small - AT a given height - you will be able to do stand counts - So if you have any problem field - or fields - you can sure cover a lot more ground with the drone - even when it's to wet to walk 2 Disease problems ? Oh yeah - with the camera's the drone's has , I sure you will be able to check them out threw the season - I was thinking about cutting out - say a couple of 4x4 spots out in the field next year - with the GPS on the drones - then you could drop down in that hole threw out the season and look at your corn from the ground up for any issues . 3. Planter problems ? You will find them with the drone ! 4 . they are easy to use - Bob had the flight plan already loaded in this Drone when he got here then - Prefight - then push a few buttons - the bird then takes off and runs the plan - its like watching a sprayer in the sky - it really runs a A-B line - Flight is done ??? Bird fly's home and sit's down ! 5. Bobs is a Phantom 4 - Nice , Nice drone and it don't break the bank - somewhere around 1,500 I believe - I can't remember where Bob sends the flights to - but they stich all photo's together that's where you get your maps of the fields - That's not free either - : )) So yes - I believe that they will be a valuable tool in the near future

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

76 --- lmao - that's no kidding !!! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

0 Kudos