cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Weather Pictures

Pond.jpg

Most ponds were filled or at least received some water.

creek 1.jpg

Picture of a creek running full.  2 miles west of my farm.

creek.jpg

Picture of another creek out of its banks, also 2 miles west of my farm.

Smoky Hill River.jpg

Picture of the Smoky Hill River running.  3 miles west and 4 miles north of my farm.  The Smoky hasn't seen this much water in years.

.rain gauge.jpg

After the rain, the ground was soft enough to dig a hole and install a new rain gauge.  Smiley Very Happy

I actually showed my youngest son how to plumb the post using a torpedo level and use a tamper to set it.  Smiley Wink

Date Mon
7/29
Tue
7/30
Wed
7/31
Thu
8/1
Fri
8/2
Weather Condition Thunder Storms Thunder Storms Clear Clear Clear
Weather Thunder Storms Thunder Storms Clear Clear Clear
Temperature (°F)
Low/High
61/81 66/84 61/87 64/90 68/92
Feels Like (°F)
Low/High
61/85 66/88 61/91 64/95 68/97
Dew Point (°F) 65 68 66 66 66
Humidity (%) 84 72 66 58 52
Wind Speed (mph) 12 8 6 13 13
Precipitation
Chance
(%)
80 80 - - -
Precipitation
Amount
(inches)
S=Snow, L=Liquid
Rain
Rain
None None None
Evapo-
transpiration

(inches/day)
0.13 0.14 0.14 0.23 0.27

Our 5 day weather forecast.  Rain should give way to sunshine and warmer temperatures.  The milo looks extremely refreshed, the rain came about 2-3 weeks to late to truly help the corn.  I'm sure once the surface dries the ground rigs will be spraying full force dawn to dusk.  The weeds are taking advantage of the moisture as well.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: Weather Pictures

Great pics Shaggy.  I'm always glad when KS gets rain.  Maybe next year you can plant 32,000 population corn and grow a "full" crop instead of a "half a crop with 16,000 pop. Smiley Happy Just teasing.  Does the Smokey Hill River flow east or west?  Can't remember.

After a dry spell when it finally rains I always think of this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5onEt7SIdtM   It reminds me of really where the blessing come from.

PS no, that is not my wife nor my daughter. 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

The Smoky runs east. Not sure if I'll try corn again in 2014 or not. Any more weather weeks like this one and it is definitely worth considereing, guess I've got about 8 months to decide. If I do plant a few acres I can assure you that the pop. will be closer to 16K than 32K.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I think you said you don't Irrigate. Is it just not feasible in you area or more of a management decision? Here we are only dry a few years out of maybe ten. And last year was one of the worst. I even experimented with pumping water out of a pond on a few acres. Just wandering if that's the only way you will be able to raise corn in your climate. From the pictures you have posted I wouldn't blame you for never trying corn again. BTW: I don't do any insurance so that gives me a little different perspective than most.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

This area doesn't irrigate simply because we don't have the water. Just a few miles south, (around 5), irrigation is popular. I guess I'm just living on the edge. LOL
0 Kudos