cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Weed Management

I went to an Iowa State program on weed management the other day.  4 hours.  Worth while.  I've always been of the thought that with weeds, kill them all and let nature sort them out, but they did help me realize the benefit of knowing the weeds better than I do.  Yes, I know them and target them, but probably not as well as I could.

I think theis is an area that is ripe for automation.  Let a camera ID the weeds and based on number, size, etc recommend an herbicide program.  

Part of the problem is the universities take a subject in isolation and show you how to handle it optimally.  They don't talk about wet weather, otherh work, can't get the sprayer, etc. that is real lirfe and affects the efficiency of our program.

Still, it is good to shoot for the best outcome and education is certainly part if it.

I wish I'd known much more about weeks earlier.

I think the most important thing I've been learning lately is how to read and apply the lable when it comes to types of adjuvants and tank mixes to best address the problem.  I'm no longer just taking some dealer's word for it, I'm actually doing some research on my own.  Should have done it earlier.

3 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Weed Management

Jim - you have wrote many good post's that I have read - but as a guy in the production side - this to me is your best !    I would give you 50 Kudo's - but can't - I think that our field day here will be 9 /10 -- think ! I wish you you would jump in that CJ-3 and come out - would love to have you here - heck I would even pick you up at KGEZ - and for you you -- No charge  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Hey Ken any more info on your field day. I'm in champagne for "half century of progress" . Driving through your area got me to thinking it may be a good road trip.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Buck - It's 9/11 from 9:00 till 11:30  - They will give points for the private and commerical applicator license's , don't know if Indiana and Ohio work together on this - I know I can get points from IL if I was to go over there .

There will be a short class room deal = mandatory for points - but most will be in field work with main speakers Dr. Neilsen , Dr. Camberator and Dr. Kiersten Wise - From Purdue

The plot ( 28 acres )  it's self is a timing rate study - Some had the  full amount put on at V- 3 while the others had different rates to equal the first all at V-3 . Some had as many as 3 app' put on it - the secound was suppose to go on at V7 but caught a rain - if you can believe that and the V7 didn't go till V-9 - Then the last app on 4 rep.s was to go on at V-15 - but most was at R-1 when I mudded the last one on .

Best guess is - like last year - they will do yield checks and whats going on in the field as well as Kiersten going ove disease issues .

If you decied to come over , just PM me and I will send you the address - pretty simple to get here . Might as well come over - Blacksand is planning on coming down from MI - the more the merryer - lol

0 Kudos