cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

What a weed!

All,

David Murray, Sikeston, MO, sent in this photo (see attachmment) of a giant Palmer amaranth weed taken last year in his area. Ugghhh. I saw some nasty fields last year traveling through Kansas, but nothing like this. 

Best,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

Successful Farming 

Unknown.jpg
0 Kudos
7 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: What a weed!

I wonder had glyphosate tolerant crops never came out and we were still using old chemistry and row cultivating 2 or 3 times, would Palmer have ever taken off?

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

KING CONG  , GODZILLA   now   PALM-ZILLA  - this could be the  NEXT  conspiracy  theory book  deal  ? ?    

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

I've wondered that too. Weeds have developed resistance to lots of chemical classes, and it's just a matter of time for those chemical classes to where weeds haven't developed resistance. There probably was more diversity in the pre-Roundup days, and another non-chemical tool in the form of cultivation to where Palmer (and water hemp/marestail too) wouldn't have spread as much.

I remember back in the flooded year of 1993 when I asked a farmer in SE South Dakota if there were any new weeds that popped up that year that hadn't in the past. "Well, there's this strange new one called mares tail....." I don't know if it was the flooding that specifically brought it up, but marestail seems to thrive when tillage is reduced, and the Roundup Ready system worked well with it.

Don't know ...maybe cultivation will make a comeback if Palmer gets too bad!

Gil 

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Ha! I wonder if it will spawn a horror movie, similar to ones in the 1950s...maybe the weed that ate Arkansas! Or the Amazing Colossal Weed! 

Gil 

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.44.56 AM.png
0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

GIL  -  It  might  be  interesting  to  review  the  label  guarantee  - or  where  this  ship  was  set  sailing  say 15  years ago ---

Silver  Bullets  soon  tarnished  ?  ? 

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

KING CONG  , GODZILLA   now   PALM-ZILLA  - this could be the  NEXT  conspiracy  theory book  deal  ? ?  

My guess is that the Russians had something to do with it : ))

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

We gotta figure out how to repurpose this plant.  🙂  Turn lemons into lemonade.

0 Kudos