cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
narosen
Friend

What fertilizer is best for commercial use (Corn, soybeans, etc.) within the United States?

My apologies if the answer to this is somewhere else on the forums, but I'm interested in knowing the best type of fertilizer- as asked in the subject.  By best I mean cost vs. yields, and by type I mean controlled/extended/sustained vs. instant release fertilizer.  I understand the pros and cons of each specific type, but what is the most commonly used on a large scale and why?  If you need me to elaborate please just ask!

Regards,

Nate

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: What fertilizer is best for commercial use (Corn, soybeans, etc.) within the United States?

Sometimes the best isn't always the cheapest or most readily available. Me, I'm a dry fertilizer enthusiast, but my custom wheat driller has a setup on his drill that is for liquid so I found myself pulling liquid nurse trailer around the last week. If your looking at updating or purchasing equipment to do your own work, initial cost might be something to consider as well, not to mention storage. It seems to be much easier to store liquid as opposed to dry, but that's just my opinion. Many different angles to answer your question by, and mine is only an opinion. I'm sure you will get more replies that have an entire different answer and possible another issue I didn't think of. NH3 is probably the cheapest way to apply N, but that comes with hazards of its own too. I haven't used NH3 for nearly 20 years for that very reason. I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars on liquid or dry just to avoid the dangerous vapors with the NH3. Probably a generic answer, but maybe it might answer a question or two.
narosen
Friend

Re: What fertilizer is best for commercial use (Corn, soybeans, etc.) within the United States?

Thank you, Shaggy.  That's definitely a good start and gives me some good personal insight.  Thank you for your time.  That's all I'm looking for - opinions from those with experience and in the know ("been there done thats").  This is simply being asked for personal research reasons, I will not be actually putting the information I'm given to physical use!  With that being said, I want everyone to feel free to share their opinions..I just want ideas - no answer is wrong! Again, I appreciate your time and help!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I Think that for somebody from Kansas --- Shaggy did a pretty good job on his post -- Smiley Wink

Here in Indiana - the cheapest form of N would be NH-3 -- But i use 28% - on farm storage and the safety of product main reasons .

I think for you to answer your question - this would be more of a region deal - as for us - we get a lot of product from barges on the Ohio - the cheapest form of freight then rail then trucks .

Good luck

Ken

0 Kudos