cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

What moisture do most start cutting beans

Cut some saturday that were 18%. Never able to get anything like that to go through the combine before. Haven't got my check to see what drying or orher charges will cost either. I needed the some cash and the deer were eating on this field pretty hard. So I won't feel to bad if I get docked or charged alot for it being so wet.
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: What moisture do most start cutting beans

As high as 20 but 18 if temporarily binned. I have a dryer so it won't be outrageous. Around here, Canada, it used to be based off the price of the commodity. Now it's free market like. Corn/wheat.

Last year I think some guys paid 60/tonne to take 20% to 13-14.
0 Kudos

Around 13%.  When I can bite a bean and it goes "crack" it's ready.

buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Jim that's what I usually do, but as I said I have some motivation to get started. I have a cheap, rarely acurate, hand held moisture tester that said 14. I was guessing 15. 18 was a bit of a suprize.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

First off -- Hey Bucky -- hows the knee ?

Second  -- I like to start cutting around 15 to 16 - I can dry here if need be - boy it saves  lot of beans cutting at 14 or 15 plus the weight advantage over 8 or 9 precent beans . But this is just me .

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Knee is good, thanks for asking. Had the operation to remove a torn meniscus, couple weeks of rehab and I'm 100%. I've never had a injury that healed like this. it was like every day after the surgery I could feel it getting better.
0 Kudos