cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

What to do, what to do

Got some soil tests back a few days ago. Grid sampled on an 80 that had a good bit of hog manure knifed in several years ago. P and K numbers all over the place without a pattern. P reading from 30 to 120 lbs per acre and K from 230 to 420 lbs per acre. Average CEC about 15 and only varies by plus or minus 2. I do not have planter fertilizer units so broadcast all P and K. Would like to get the low spots up to snuff, but so spotty sample to sample, that I am not sure it is possible to map accurately for variable rate application. Also the low P and low K spots are mostly uncorrelated with each other, so would require seperate application trips. Considering just broadcasting replacement rate, but wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar situation or has a better idea.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: What to do, what to do

Might not be what you want to hear, but could you hire it done by someone who has prescription capability? If you only need to apply heavy amounts of fertilizer on a few areas, the fertilizer savings might pay for the application. Not sure if strip-till would work in your situation. Just thinking out Loud here.
0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Re: What to do, what to do

Thanks Shaggy. That is what I am going to do with the lime recommendations. The co-op has a VRT spreader and the soil test ph changes follow the contour lines and soil type changes rather nicely. The P and K changes however, seem to be random and I am guessing that if I move 50 feet in any direction from where the probes were taken the readings would likely change by over 30%.

0 Kudos