cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Wheat Harvest

Gonna try to do a little cutting this afternoon. I've only got 40 acres that possibly is dry enough, the rest might need to set until next week, it's just not dry yet. A few people tried cutting yesterday around here and the buzz is not good. I've heard test weights nearly 10# light, and that was just the producers who's grain was dry. Could be an ugly year if these reports hold out to be true.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Wheat Harvest

Thinking about starting Monday. How do you know If it's dry enough. Is it just cut some and test it or is there some other signs. BTW I plan on putting it in the bin. So I can put some air through it, even some heat if needed.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Nothing to scientific here, just thrash a few heads in your hand and bite the kernels. They will be hard to crack if it is ready. That is what I do to decide to move in equipment, once equipment is on site I usually do a small sample and run it in to the elevator to get the official moisture and test weight.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

The ice is broken, I cut 30 acres of wheat this evening. Nothing to write home about but it weighed 61#. Yield was somewhere around 30 BPA. I guess getting dusted in and froze 3 times out of dormancy does take its toll.
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Your probably a lot better off than the con till guys w seeds that didn't germinate and 10bpa.

Everyone else doing the same as you?

Now what? Double crop beans?

Guess you don't use a moisture tester cause you are lucky to field dry everything.. Lol
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

No double crop beans for me.  All my wheat stubble acres will lay idle until about 11 months from now when I no-till milo back into them.  The only exception is on a few bottom acres I will double crop some forage sorghum probably to sell later this fall.  I was planning on starting a cow herd this fall but with my oat crop not panning out I will probably delay those plans for another year.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

To answer your other question, I've heard of other producers in this area that the crop adjusters are meeting them in the harvest field.  Nothing in the head and test weights so low that the elevators are docking the chit out of them to the point they are losing money by harvesting.  That is all talk at this point, I haven't got anything confirmed yet.

0 Kudos