cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Wheat Harvest

Wheat harvest is in full swing in Central Kansas. Not sure how it happened since all my crop was drilled within 3 days, but I've cut wheat at 12% moisture and I've got some in the milk stage yet that's only 2 miles up the road. Yields are terrible, less than 10B/A. Gonna be another long year.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Wheat Harvest

Harvest came to a screeching halt about 6 hours ago via T-storms. My farms received anywhere from .85" to 1.5". I've heard of locations receiving as much as 3"-4" in a very short time frame, probably 30-45 minutes. Not much of this rain actually soaked in, but didn't see a single pond that wouldn't fill up. Some of which have been dry for several years. My milo that was nearly knee high is now under 1' of runoff. One extreme to the next.

Speaking of milo, those in who were scrambling to get it in just witnessed the door get slammed right in front of them. Not quite sure how much was left to get planted because it was going in at record pace the last 5 days, but I did see a few fields that remained.

Looks like 2014 should have been the year I rolled the dice on dryland corn.
0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: Wheat Harvest

I guess it would be interesting how are the custom cutters handling all of this ?

0 Kudos