cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Wheat Hay Question

I've got a neighbor that has volunteer wheat that is so thick it looks like a shag carpet.  I have no idea how he did it, but there are no weeds what so ever, just the nicest stand of volunteer wheat one can imagine.  Almost looks like it was aerial seeded.  Question is, can he go in and top dress these acres and then either green chop or swath and bale them later this fall?  I mean if the fields are clean of weeds and the acres are going to lay idle until next spring, why not get a few tons of hay before going in and applying chemicals to kill it.  Just wondering, any thoughts?  If I remember, I'll snap a few pictures and try to post them tomorrow or Monday.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Ianbeer
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wheat Hay Question

He must own a JD combine Shaggy. Smiley Very Happy  I always said the green color suits them, because it's always green behind them! Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Don't do a thing. It'll be the same size in the fall. It needs cold vet alizarin to get big and tall. Just cut er down
0 Kudos
nutlug
Veteran Contributor

Needs to be killed ASAP so it isn't a harbor for disease.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

We are trying Nutlug but 10" rain over a 3 week period tend to slow the ground rigs to a halt. No rain here for the last 3 days so just maybe we can get rolling later this week.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

volunteer wheat.JPG

Here's a picture of the volunteer wheat I was referring too.  Sorry so blurry.

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Wow. Did any grain make it into the bin?!! Sieves all closed? That's a hell of a cover crop to plant milo or corn in next year!
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I'm telling you LCF, he's one of the better producers in this area.  It even has good color, thats why I was asking about hay quality.  It's got milo on one side and soybeans on the other.  I don't think a wheat field is within a mile.  If it were mine, I'd consider topdress and wheatlage.

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

I've chopped wheat before. It was just past flowering with a crop of Timothy coming under it. Dam nice feed but hard to pack
In the pit. All that straw is just too fluffy.
There's a nice stand there, but does anyone need it? I believe I heard you say a lot of hay and other forage is already available in
Your area. It might do the ground more good to pull some nutrients to the top if he's a no till man as well. Kill it down in the spring and slide a planter through it.
My 2 cents are more like pesos, but I'm free with em!
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

He is a no-tiller and generally a dern good one. Isn't it amazing how we always have the answers to someone else's operation? LOL
0 Kudos