cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justbegining

Wheat Questions

Greetings All,

This is my first year of planting winter wheat.  I seeded it last year around the 9th of Oct.  Since then I have put down 100 lbs of 11-52-0.  I was thinking of putting down 150 lbs of urea here in the next month or so, but wondering about the timing & if I need to lower the amount or raise it.  Also, I have read about some producers spraying a fungicide.  My question is what is a good product, & how much, as well as when is a good time.   A little bit of history on the ground is that it sits around a housing development & has not seen any type of grain crop in at least the last 3 years that I know of. Also, there is alot of variability in soil types,  sand to a timber soil.  TIA  JB

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: Wheat Questions

I don't know where you are located..but here in NwOH we tend to get a little more fall nitrogen on..to get some tillering..and also quite a bit more spring nitrogen. Urea is fine..as long as it stays cool, which should be no problem in the next month. I would go with a minimum of 90 units of N...or 200 lbs. of Urea up to 130 units of N...depending on your yield potential. If the stand is good, you have good weed control and you have decent fertility on this ground...you won't be sorry.

As for fungicide..a lot has been made about it in the last couple years..and I've seen it help sometimes..and sometimes not. But with the price of wheat this year...I'm going for a program that includes an early shot of Headline (3oz./acre) rate. And a later shot of something to keep the flag leaf clean (Tilt, Bumper, StrategoYLD). If you are concerned with cool damp conditions during flowering...you even might want to go with a shot of Prosaro to keep the scab level down in your fields. One can only guess when we are going to get scab infestations...but there are online sources that tell you the signs that should make you consider an application.

0 Kudos
Ed_Winkle
Contributor

This year i am planning on spreading 100 lbs of urea with 100 lbs of ammonium sulfate then coming back with a few gallons of 28 later.  I need a little sulfur and I have had good response to using different forms of N on my wheat.  Really though a pound of N is a pound of N.  I will pull tissue tests and evaluate and probably end up with 120-150 total pounds of N.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Pup, can I ask what county you are in?   Ottawa here.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Very north edge of Seneca Co. farm both sides of the San./Sen. county line...South of Fremont.

..And after attending the Northern Ohio Crops Day last week..I'm going to amend my fungicide application intentions on my wheat this year. They specifically found..that an early (Feeks 5-6) stage application of fungicide very rarely makes any yield difference ..and the money might be better spent on the later flag leaf and blossoming applications.

0 Kudos
ZR2
Contributor

If you use Urea, I would highly recommend putting a Agrotain (a stabilizer) on it. It will protect the urea until  you get a rainfall event to wash the urea in the ground. It is very cheap (estimated a about $2.50-$3.00/ 100#) considering where wheat prices are.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

ok  you're in some good ground there   wouldn't corn and beans make your money than wheat?  I've pretty much given up on wheat.  Can't seem to gey any better yields than 30 years ago.   I go thru the Fremont area on the way to Bucyrus cattle auction and attend the sprint car races at the fairgrounds.  Have some relation in Fremont also.  Good luck

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

On some of my most productive ground last summer, I raised 84 bushel wheat...and 33 bushel double crop soybeans. It doesn't happen often that I get the right conditions for it...because it takes an early spring (and hot weather) to get the wheat off by the first of July. Then you need soil damp enough to germinate and get the beans up in 4-5 days. It so happened this year...but ordinarily..I should have raised close to 90 bushel wheat on that field..and no double crops. But I do have some Hoytville ground..that wheat seems to be just as productive as corn and soybeans...and gives me an opportunity to do some summer deep tilling..or cover crop planting. Think I'm going to plant some Daikon radishes on it this summer...it's getting way tight..and needs to be loosened up.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Wheat seems to do just as good on my hard, napannee ground as the better fields.  we used to raise 70 bpa wheat years ago and except for a few years hitting the 80s bpa I seem to be stuck around 70 bpa.  On rt. 19 south of Greensprings is a farmer who pants twin row wheat and plants beans between the wheat rows.  Last year it was in a big field on west side of 19.  Looked like a 160 or 240 acre field.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

That field of wheat south of Green Springs is farmed by the Cleveland family. I took Dan Davidson from DTN over there this summer..and showed him what they were doing. There is one other farmer over in that vicinity doing the same thing..and that's the Anstead family. Their wheat wasn't anything special last summer...we were there when they were harvesting..and they said it was doing in the mid 60's...But I think the soybeans got a very good start..and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't average over 40. We could have used one more rain in late Aug/Sept for them..but the frost held out long enough..and they all matured very nicely.

0 Kudos